IGNORED

240ZBUILTBYME 1971 240z HS-001063 Project Sheena

240ZBUILTBYME

16 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

anybody know if the silver brackets from the steering rack bushes are meant to be there? They looked like diy aluminum shims  made up. 

Those rubber steering rack mounts are the originals and once they get old the rack flops back and forth, a PO has made up those shims to try to get some of the slop out.  The new poly mounts improve the steering feel.

21 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Those rubber steering rack mounts are the originals and once they get old the rack flops back and forth, a PO has made up those shims to try to get some of the slop out.  The new poly mounts improve the steering feel.

Yeah that’s what I figured! Cheers! 

Yeah poly bushes for sure upon rebuild. 

Ryan 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tyroguru said:

Ryan - I'm being uber dense - these look like a rear lower valence (??) but, if so, why do you need two? I haven't worked on this area at all so probably don't understand at all how the sections are made up.

Not dense at all Jon! I only need one, I shared the shipping costs with another guy to get it to Australia from the uk. 140£ (~200USD) to ship it!!!! By the time I finish the restoration I think I will have spent more in shipping than buying the car! 

Ryan 

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Happy new year everyone! May this year bring you much progress on your projects or many miles in your z. 

weatherstrip kit arrived along with rubber and grommet kit all from z car depot. I am 90% confident that the zcardepot kit is straight up the precision kit. All parts are corresponding to precision’s part numbers, arrived in a precision box, some parts did not come in precision branded packets but upon watching some of the precision installation videos on YouTube some of the packaging looks unbranded. Also came with a precision kit packing list. So unless z car depot goes through the trouble of  restickering all their kit with precision part numbers. I’m pretty sure I have a precision kit. What I don’t get is the 200 USD price difference? Zcardepot 289 USD and from precision 468 USD! 

Rubber bumper and grommet kit was a bit of an impulse buy, but contains a lot of parts I assume I’ll need at some stage. 

My rationale in these purchases is that I will need door seals to start gapping panels and doors when I replace my outer rockers. Zcardepot had black Friday sales which meant the amount I saved covered the shipping I have to pay to get it to Perth. So I pulled the trigger. 

B3CC81E3-6AFD-4DC1-8FCE-D04CC47F6F3A.thumb.jpeg.49a8e40d451285cfa03c3bd229ef8bd1.jpeg

A5130D10-E31E-481D-8340-79DD780DA492.jpeg

• Like 2

Had so much time off over the Xmas/new year break but due to Family commitments, new baby and spending two weeks in Western Australia’s beautiful southwest, progress on the car was non existent. 

I managed to strip my rear SU, so plan is now to buy a parts washer and clean everything in prep for replating and vapor blasting. Can’t believe how many individual parts make up a set of SUs! All parts very thoroughly catalogued and organized.

Does anyone know the best place to source oem or equivalent fasteners for SUs? I have some screws with stripped heads etc

F19BA0B7-DE08-49AC-AC90-D7551064BB4C.thumb.jpeg.f578c7e0f3936a2d39a6238b5a7eb01a.jpeg

I did receive my blemished zstory jdm muffler. Which is a very nice unit, and for 260$ aud including shipping I couldn’t resist. I don’t know what my plan is to minimize the blemish just yet. slight damage during shipping but nothing unfixable, may just need to have a machine shop shave the tip. 

1340C919-AFE7-4EA1-8243-ED6B169AFCF1.thumb.jpeg.85f73a0fe65c7a9aeb697756955b2cfc.jpegCED89B7D-CBAE-4F8C-B952-C9FE80CE5015.thumb.jpeg.a5285db78314430fb28d05a261e2963a.jpeg1C244600-1B94-4F8E-AC33-20AC9B585DDB.thumb.jpeg.048d8a7edfea9275612a776ec26727a5.jpeg

im hoping I’m able to make some decent progress this year. Wish me luck 

Ryan 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

slight damage during shipping but nothing unfixable,

Take a round piece of hard wood (piece of your broomstick) and give the pipe some little hits with it, from the inside of the pipe.. you will get that super smal dent out.. Just carfully with small hits. 😉  (or scuff it with the wood from inside to outside.. take your time. )

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Had so much time off over the Xmas/new year break but due to Family commitments, new baby and spending two weeks in Western Australia’s beautiful southwest, progress on the car was non existent. 

I managed to strip my rear SU, so plan is now to buy a parts washer and clean everything in prep for replating and vapor blasting. Can’t believe how many individual parts make up a set of SUs! All parts very thoroughly catalogued and organized.

Does anyone know the best place to source oem or equivalent fasteners for SUs? I have some screws with stripped heads etc

F19BA0B7-DE08-49AC-AC90-D7551064BB4C.thumb.jpeg.f578c7e0f3936a2d39a6238b5a7eb01a.jpeg

I did receive my blemished zstory jdm muffler. Which is a very nice unit, and for 260$ aud including shipping I couldn’t resist. I don’t know what my plan is to minimize the blemish just yet. slight damage during shipping but nothing unfixable, may just need to have a machine shop shave the tip. 

1340C919-AFE7-4EA1-8243-ED6B169AFCF1.thumb.jpeg.85f73a0fe65c7a9aeb697756955b2cfc.jpegCED89B7D-CBAE-4F8C-B952-C9FE80CE5015.thumb.jpeg.a5285db78314430fb28d05a261e2963a.jpeg1C244600-1B94-4F8E-AC33-20AC9B585DDB.thumb.jpeg.048d8a7edfea9275612a776ec26727a5.jpeg

im hoping I’m able to make some decent progress this year. Wish me luck 

Ryan 

the SU carb guys in Oregon should be able to hook you up with SU carb hardware.

Like Zed pointed out, a bit of wood on the inside (hardwood, like oak, or even better, ironwood), and use a hard plastic mallet on the outside to tap down on either side of the downward deformation should straighten it up. You will likely need to sand and polish the stainless after, to clean up any marring or scratches. 

It won’t even be noticeable.

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @dutchzcarguy

On 1/18/2021 at 1:39 AM, Racer X said:

the SU carb guys in Oregon should be able to hook you up with SU carb hardware.

Like Zed pointed out, a bit of wood on the inside (hardwood, like oak, or even better, ironwood), and use a hard plastic mallet on the outside to tap down on either side of the downward deformation should straighten it up. You will likely need to sand and polish the stainless after, to clean up any marring or scratches. 

Thanks X I have packed the muffler away for now but I will give this ago when the time comes, thanks for the advice. 

Do you mean z therapy? I just bought a diy rebuild kit from them and asked if they could supply fixings they said no.... 😢

ryan 

Unfortunately I have not had time to work on the car since New Years . My mum is unwell and I have had to spend a lot of time with her. 

Managed to put this together. Another massive thanks to @ConVerTT for creating and sharing this jig. I’ve never done metal work before this and if this inspires even one person to give it a go I’ve accomplished something! 

Ryan 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

More pieces of the jigsaw puzzle arrived today.

Took MSA aka the z store 6 months to get these to me. Worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. I discourage anyone thinking of purchasing from them unless completely necessary. 

hopefully KF vintage jdm starts making these soon, the tabco pieces are very rough. But they will get the job done. 

0FEB3A7A-6817-4FB1-9E7A-791A2438E2E9.jpeg