IGNORED

Gas Pedal / Accelerator Rubber Boot

ea6driver

Two questions...1) How do I install this new/replacement accelerator rubber boot onto the linkage without breaking it?  And 2) does the metal "collar" that is on the shaft go inside the boot or outside the boot?

As you can see there is an adjusting nut at the gas pedal end of the shaft, but I've tried to loosen it without success...was afraid if I kept wrenching on it something was going to break...Also, both ends with the "cups" are plastic, and I'm sure quite brittle and unforgiving at this stage in their lives.  It looks like clearly I need to remove one "cup" end to get the boot on because the small end of the rubber boot doesn't look like there is any way for it to stretch over the cups.  Do the "cups" screw off? Or are they simply pressed on?

I figured surely one of you has tackled this job before and can give me some good advice here. Thanks!

fullsizeoutput_705.jpeg

They should thread off. Open end wrench on the flats of the ball joint. Flare nut wrench on the lock nut. Maybe a little penetrating oil, little prayer.  Then turn it loose. Once the locknut is loose the bolt joint should unthread. You should measure first so you can reassemble to the correct length. Double check the threads direction. I believe they are lefty loosy but maybe not

• Like 1

If I had to do or against, I would install the ball joint into the gas pedal first and make sure it is firmly in.  Put a grain of grease there for lubricant.  Then pull the other end to the engine and put the boot on.

i did the opposite. ? like everything i do .... had a hard time put it in the gas pedal.  Used all my might thinking it was in.  Drove around the block couple of times no problem.  Getting closer to home on the last round... suddenly no acceleration ? it dropped off from the gas pedal.  Dash home about few houses to get a long nose pliers and secure it this time.  Imagine it on freeway Phew 

And the little metal collar?  Here's a pic I took before disassembling everything...in this pic it looks like that metal collar is positioned between the ball joint and the rubber boot...but the shape of the small end of the rubber boot would suggest that the metal collar is supposed to be inside the rubber boot.  Given the age of the car and the possibility that this linkage was previously disassembled sometime in the past, I'm not convinced that the collar's position in the pic is necessarily accurate. Thanks!

IMG_3831.JPG

No...look at the first picture I posted above.  In the photo you can see the new rubber boot, and just to the left of it you can see a small metal "collar" that slips over the shaft/shank after removing the plastic ball piece.  That is a replacement collar that came with the replacement rubber boot.  Also, below that, you can see the original "collar" on the shaft as it was removed from the car.  This collar fits loosely over the shaft/shank and can easily slide up/down the shaft.  During installation, the collar can either be positioned outside the boot (so that it sits next to the plastic ball) or inside the boot.  The small end of the boot looks like it was designed so that the small metal collar would fit perfectly inside the end of it.  I was unsure which installation option is correct. Hope this makes sense.

Here is a picture from the parts book and that small collar is not shown. Maybe it is a part that comes with the rubber boot and like you suggest is inside the end of the small end. My car has a retainer that is between the pedal end nut and the threaded ball end that prevents the assembly from pulling through the hole in firewall. I need a replacement boot as well. Mine is missing that small collar. The parts book does confirm how the parts are threaded. I hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers

Mike

Capture.JPG 

20200827_070516.jpg

20200522_135448.jpg

• Like 1

Very interesting...that parts diagram says it's applicable up to Nov '74.....mine is a 78 and it does appear that there are differences...I'm going to try and find a similar parts diagram for the 78 year model and see if that definitively answers the question.  Thank you.