IGNORED

Rally Z timekeeper pieces?

gogriz91

For timekeeping, the usual 'Works' kit was a pair of HEUER (pre-TAG) clocks: A 'Master-Time' 8 day clock and a 'Monte-Carlo' stopwatch. Some of the more serious navigators would have their own preferred/maintained sets, and positioning/mounting was also subject to individual navigator preference whenever changes were possible before an event.

The usual HEUER Master-Time & Monte-Carlo pair was quite expensive at the time (they still are...) and very tempting for a thief when the cars were in Parc Ferme. There are stories of some sets going missing...  

4150-ZK-AT03-12.JPG

For distance measuring, the usual Works kit was a pair of HALDA Tripmasters connected individually to the front wheels by drive cables which ran through the centre of each hub spindle, exiting the hub casting at the back of the strut via a hard tube. Having two Halda drives operating individually allowed the navigator to take an average for increased accuracy. Positioning of the Haldas on the dash varied somewhat according to RHD or LHD layouts and feedback from navigators about their own preferences. On later Works 240Zs and 260Z, Halda Twinmasters were fitted for doubling-up on accuracy.

NB71-OWSS-AT-33.JPG 

As can be seen, the early Works cars were usually fitted with the oscillator-driven Kanto Seiki 'Rally' stopwatch clocks too. 

Nothing made by SEIKO for these cars.

• Like 3

Ditto .... Sold my Halda stuff with car long time ago.   Wife did not like the sport / competition or the look of the drive cables on the car coming from the front hubs and curving around into the grill area.   Still have some of the gear sets to calibrate the mileage somewhere.

24 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

@HS30-H what can you tell about that steering wheel?

Its an early Nissan Works version of the 'Datsun Compe' urethane-grip steering wheel made by Izumi.

The Works version was a larger diameter version of the Compe, and followed the same solid-spoke to perforated-spoke transition as seen in the OEM S30-series Z Izumi steering wheels.

70-test-ART-07.JPG

Early Compe-1.jpg

• Like 1

Do you know the diameters of those wheels? I have used a 20 year old Momo that I like for size and grip but would like to find something that is more respectful to the early Z. The original is restored and tucked away for another day. 

I see Zstory has replicas

3 hours ago, 7tooZ said:

Do you know the diameters of those wheels? I have used a 20 year old Momo that I like for size and grip but would like to find something that is more respectful to the early Z. The original is restored and tucked away for another day. 

I see Zstory has replicas

The normal - Sports Option - 'Datsun Compe' steering wheel was usually 350mm diameter. I have a 1972 vintage version at that diameter.

The Nissan Works rally team version was slightly bigger diameter, usually around 370mm, although I have seen at least one that was just over 380mm.

I have no idea what ZStory are selling and I see no mention on their website.