IGNORED

best way to sell

ta240

In the next year or two I'm going to have to sell my Z and I'm at a loss at the best way to sell it.   I don't want to mess with ebay, too many bad experiences there, but I would prefer to minimize dealing with people and all the fun that entails with questionable test drives, lowball offers, no shows, etc.   It is a daily driver and knowing each and every imperfection I'd give it about a 6 out of 10 so it isn't high end auction material.    Anyone dealt with classic car consignment places?  Any other suggestions?

In my entire 50+ years I've sold 2 cars and one was to carmax so this isn't a process I'm used to doing.  Most of the time I drive them until they have to be towed away for scrap.   So any tips, hints or suggestions are appreciated.

1. Join ZONC if you're not already a member.

2. Circulate around the club that you want to sell. Many of us encounter people who are interested in buying a Z. I'm sure the ZONC members experience that, too.

3. Consider Bring a Trailer...I'm not a big fan of that site, but there are some here who like it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 73str86 said:

Submit 100 photos to Bring a Trailer. Their reserve suggestion might shock you.

So true. 

Additionally, I am noticing the BaT audience now expects walk-around, cold start and driving videos of vehicles on the auction site.  There's a yellow 1971 240Z on BaT right now accompanied by a nicely produced video narrated by a fine English gentleman. 

If I ever sell my Z, I may have to hire Richard Attenborough to do voice work to get the best price ?

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 11:06 AM, DatsunZGuy said:

So true. 

Additionally, I am noticing the BaT audience now expects walk-around, cold start and driving videos of vehicles on the auction site.  There's a yellow 1971 240Z on BaT right now accompanied by a nicely produced video narrated by a fine English gentleman. 

If I ever sell my Z, I may have to hire Richard Attenborough to do voice work to get the best price ?

That video is almost in the top gear realm.

I'll have to take some pictures of it and post them here to see what pricing range to aim for.   I definitely definitely don't think it will need a video of that quality to accompany it.  It is a daily driver (on nice days) and my commute is 100 miles round trip and it had some questionable areas when I bought it.

The thing I don't like about BAT is there are a few that say positives about the car.  It seems to increase the bidding even though the comments are highly subjective.  If you don't receive their comments, you don't get good bids.  Strange.