IGNORED

Suspension Bushing Replacement

Jughead

• 7 months later...

I am new to this site. I have a 1972 240Z. I am replacing some rear suspension/drive train bushings. I removed the transmission mount cross member, the differential front mount cross

member and the mustache bar and I am replacing bushings and mounts in these components. I have a couple of questions:

I installed new bushings, sleeves and large washers on the mustache bar. What is the torque setting for the mustache bar bolts. I suspect you tighten the nuts until the large washers are fully seated against the bushing sleeves. Is this correct or is there a specific torque?

There is an "arrester belt" that straps over the differential housing near the front of the differential. The existing belt showed signs of wear so I replaced the belt. Is the belt meant to fit tight/snug against the top of the diff or is it there more as a guard against the diff coming loose and flying around. The new belt I installed does not fit snug against the top of the diff. I am not sure if the old one did.

I ordered new bushings and sleeves (from Energy Suspension) for the small "mustache" bar that mounts in the transmission mount cross member. The bushings and sleeves provided do not fit. Energy Suspension confirmed they are the right parts. I purchased the car new and as the sole owner, I know The transmission cross member is OEM. I purchased the car in Canada and I am wondering if the cross member is different than on a car purchased in the US. So far I have been unable to locate bushings that will fit, or a new bar c/w bushings.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.