IGNORED

Underside OEM Finish's

Randalla

It is interesting.  I was doing research on the under coating.  Some got it from the factory like my car did. Mine also was treated after in spots. The undercoating from the factory seems to be done after the underside paint and before the top coat was applied.  You see the over spray on top of the coating.  While around the spare tire well it is painted under the undercoating

On 6/28/2020 at 4:38 PM, jfa.series1 said:

Here's a couple of additional reference pics after the car was cleaned. Different/inconsistent treatment of left and right.

03.jpg

04.jpg

Jim, your car is just like mine.  The entire bottom of the car has been coated from the factory with a black "undercoat".  I'm not sure what to call it, as it isn't super rough in texture like the later cars.  I also think some are referring to it as primer.  You can clearly see that it was not sprayed in the area behind the fender that is behind the narrow panel that bolts to the inner fender and seals the back area.  There is a little rubber flap attached to the bottom of that panel.  If the car was not coated at all, the entire bottom would look like the area in the above pics where the cowl drain tube dumps out.  The black coating and lack of texture there is noticeably different. 

The over spray is on top of the black "undercoat".  Keep in mind that when the car was painted with color, all metal and fiberglass body parts (and nothing else) were bolted into place.  The headlight opening in the headlight housings is a big hole for paint to come into the front wheel house, which explains the heavy coverage of over spray in that front area.

Edited by inline6

2 hours ago, inline6 said:

The headlight opening in the headlight housings is a big hole for paint to come into the front wheel house, which explains the heavy coverage of over spray in that front area.

Interesting observation regarding the headlight opening as a potential conduit for overspray. Given the broad and intense coverage and specific areas of coverage on my left side, this could not be explained by casual overspray thru the headlight opening. There is no doubt in my mind that this degree of coverage is a result of intentional spray directed thru the fender arch. It is likely a fellow painter on the right side was less intense on his approach.  That suggests to me that these are all cut-in areas roughly applied prior to the higher quality exterior coat. The same could  be said for the rear wheel wells with very intense and thorough coverage on top of some kind of protective layer to absorb impacts from road debris. BTW - the car had 92k miles when these pics were taken.

04.jpg

05.jpg

• Like 1