IGNORED

Cams

Auston

Trying to identify some cams I have. Yes, I have too many and I'm only 19. Trying to figure out which one would be the best to use for my engine rebuild, and can't find much information online about any of them. I have 3 heads, I marked in all the pictures what head the cam came from. Which cam would you guys use? The P79 cam has no markings on the back, which I found odd. Couldn't find anything about it.

P79 HEAD.PNG

N47 HEAD2.png

E88 HEAD.png

image.png

This might help a little bit, though I know it doesn't answer your question.  You could always take some measurements as well to see if the unknown cam has a stock base circle.  The lobe height might help identify it compared to the other cams.

Edited by Jeff G 78

If you're trying to save money on your rebuild and you have kept track of which rocker arms match which cam lobes, you might want to just use the cam in the best condition.  

Also, the 74, and maybe the 77, might be spray bar cams.  No internal lubrication holes.  So that might be a factor.  The specs for all of the cams are similar as you can see in Jeff G's chart.  There are no "hot" cams.

Here's the P79 data if you want to take some measurements.  Just from the picture it doesn't look it's been reground.  Don't lose or throw away any of the small parts, like lash pads.  They're expensive when you consider that you have to buy 12 each.  Getting hard to find sizes also.

image.png

From the specs the stock cam from a 260z marked “C” on the back is a good choice. E88 head

u’ll need a spray bar.  We used to gettem for the wrecking yards and use them on E31 heads no problem.

of course you can go after market but that’s a whole different can of worms.

Here’s the C cam on a ported E88 head atop an L26 with MSA 6-2-1 header and 2.5” pipe back to a turbo muffler. Stock compression and 280zx distributor with Pertronix flamethrower 1.5ohm coil, Z therapy SU carbs on SM needles.

Engine was burning a fair bit of oil but look at that gorgeous torque curve!!! Driving that engine was an utter delight!!! It wasn’t massively quick but you were never short of response or torque.

dfcb222dcc9197fa4128a2e41b476046.jpg&key=427e2ef0fb7a79868b493e9480a5e06adf2ca64973370c5733255adb6118e2cf