IGNORED

Gas Tank restore and POR15

Dadsun

I could tell you the way I've done 2 so far with Red-kote. Cost $50 a few years ago. Muratic acid, redkote, baking soda, 5 gallons buckets and about a month to completely cure. That could be cut down to a week if you keep it in sunlight.

Read over these instructions and see if you may want to try it. I can find my post from back then and let decide. It's easy but time sensutive and yoy have to get your "ducks" in a row. $$$ was my decider.

4 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

I was going to do it myself but I changed my mind and had it done professionally after meeting a guy who was doing it himself.and I’m glad I did. This guy put BB’s in the tank to break up the rust and could never get them all out: .

BBs sounds like asking for trouble. I was going to go with a cluster of smooth stones at the most. Not even sure if the POR15 process really needs it, but I'll see.  I think the kit comes in early this week. I'll let y'all know how it goes. 

I saw a similar method a while back that consisted of a gas tank duck taped to the opening of a concrete mixer. That fellow used spare nuts and bolts (noting the quantities) for the abrasive material.

Edited by Mark Maras

How about a heavy chain?

There are too many nooks and crannies I think for a chain. If you use nuts just make sure you count them so you know if you have left any behind.

I would find a local radiator shop to tank it and then you can coat it yourself with POR-15. The EPA has been putting the smack down on radiator shops at least that’s what the guy in Memphis told me. They’re getting harder to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk