IGNORED

Anyone Tried Rota RK-R or Atara Racing Pisang?

Muzez

Was dreaming about RS Wats this morning, but priced them out and at $2,100-2,400 delivered, they are a bit out of my price range. This realization resulted in a spiral around SE Asia replica options (Rota RK-R, Atara Pisang). I wanted to see if anyone has bought these in the past that can talk about their long term experience (Cracking, finish issues, fitment challenges).

Also, is there a good site for used rims? Been watching ebay, craigslist, and FB Marketplace, but Watanabes tend to pop up rarely and go quickly. 

Tagging a few users who have mentioned Rota RK-R or Atara Pisang in the past. @spitz17, @chachacourt, @srbigbutt, @WarrenZ, @Kevin McSweeney

Yes I bought Rota RK-R's 15x8 (pictures fitted below). I haven't driven on them yet but my comments would be that build quality seems decent, finish seems decent. No fitment issues other than I needed to fit extended wheel studs and open ended long wheel nuts; but I knew that before I bought them.

I bought them on Amazon as it happens, they were on sale at the time so got a good deal.

IMG-5106.JPG

IMG-5105.JPG

• Thanks 1

Your white Z looks a lot like the Z we started working on 3 years ago. Only you have a rear hatch installed, ours was only a rolling chassis. This car also has the Rota wheels in dark gray and 16". Nice wheels, no mileage on them also, but they are about 4-5 years old. Holding up nicely in the shop.

Ed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin McSweeney said:

Yes I bought Rota RK-R's 15x8 (pictures fitted below). I haven't driven on them yet but my comments would be that build quality seems decent, finish seems decent. No fitment issues other than I needed to fit extended wheel studs and open ended long wheel nuts; but I knew that before I bought them.

I bought them on Amazon as it happens, they were on sale at the time so got a good deal.

Thanks! Can't wait to see them hit the road! 

A friend has the Atara Pisang, though not yet installed and he did have issues with shipping damage.  I believe 3 of the four had some level of paint damage.  I forget where they ship from, but it's somewhere in the Asia Pacific area.  

3 hours ago, Ed Brock said:

Your white Z looks a lot like the Z we started working on 3 years ago. Only you have a rear hatch installed, ours was only a rolling chassis. This car also has the Rota wheels in dark gray and 16". Nice wheels, no mileage on them also, but they are about 4-5 years old. Holding up nicely in the shop.

Ed

Are you referring to mine pictured above? It's actually still in epoxy primer, not white ? . I started work on it about 2-1/2" years ago also! Getting close!

To bring back on topic, here is the seller I purchased from:

https://www.amazon.com/PCS-ROTA-RKR-WHEELS-15X8/dp/B013XZTPCW/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=rota+rkr&dchild=1&keywords=rota+rkr&pd_rd_i=B013XZTPCW&pd_rd_r=713d4ed2-4408-40c7-aa29-c85023c29f8e&pd_rd_w=jl6Ny&pd_rd_wg=gg5t3&pf_rd_p=865e0d87-7dd3-47cb-8098-f5232fd0510a&pf_rd_r=EDF5MDEMED5KC8T5XMG7&psc=1&qid=1588708731&sr=1-1-beb77b32-1078-477f-b152-b09baa1ee7f7

On 5/5/2020 at 1:30 PM, Jeff G 78 said:

A friend has the Atara Pisang, though not yet installed and he did have issues with shipping damage.  I believe 3 of the four had some level of paint damage.  I forget where they ship from, but it's somewhere in the Asia Pacific area.  

@Jeff G 78That's good feedback, thanks. Any idea on if the refunded him or shipped new?

@Kevin McSweeney, that is the link I have saved. Good to know. 

Edited by dmuzial

15 hours ago, dmuzial said:

@Jeff G 78That's good feedback, thanks. Any idea on if the refunded him or shipped new?

He said that they gave him a discounted price to cover the damage.  From what I saw, the damage was not that bad, but like him, I wouldn't want any damage to my wheels.  He has his car down to a bare shell and is doing a BMW M5 engine swap.  He is doing every inch of the car right and it's going to be a stunning car when finished.

The wheels look fantastic BTW.

• Like 1