IGNORED

260z original seats? How to reinforce fabric

Jeff Berk

I had a pair of old seats in my 260z that I'm replacing with what I think is a pair of OEM 260z seats that were removed after minimal use. They lack the vent holes so I'm not sure if they are in fact OEM. Can anyone tell me if the 260s' seats came without vent holes?

The more important issue is that the driver seat has a few separations in the vinyl fabric.These are not rips but I'm concerned that they may turn into rips because the vinyl is so old. Should I take the seat somewhere to get reinforcement for this spot? 

I'm assuming I can switch driver and passenger seats to even out the wear and that may help.

Jeff

IMG_20200504_172306.jpg

IMG_20200504_174122x.jpg

I just came back from an upholsterer for vintage cars and he said that my seat bottom was dry rotted. I'm going to need to either replace the original covering (his suggestion) or glue backing somehow to give it strength my inexpensive alternative. At least I'm furloughed so I have some free time.

• Like 1

My 260z seats are also like this but the middle bit is cloth (came stock like that over here). I must say they are awfully comfortable and I dare say girl your bottom harder when cornering hard.

Have you considered a cloth replacement? May be cheaper - unless of course you want to maintain the US original look etc.

d9e9278408db10e2345fa3c16470bc54.jpg&key=74c19c99027393111c84d63e6807ac49f5c268d45086cedd71e78ecc3b71db6b

Others have replaced them with Alcantara which looks fantastic and has good longevity. Had them in many Audis and the material is durable but soft feeling!!!

After looking around, I think I'm setting my sights on a leather kit sold by Interior Innovations for $350. I need to hold off for a few months at least while I wait to be called back to work so I'm gluing the stretch marks from the inside to stabilize the damage and adding new horsehair and padding for now. 

AK260, I like your interior but someone moved your steering wheel to the wrong side of the car ; )

Jeff

• Like 1

AK260, I like your interior but someone moved your steering wheel to the wrong side of the car ; )

All this time I couldn’t quite put my finger on it but I could tell something was amiss!!

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to re-upholster with the Interior Innovations leather (which I have and I'm very pleased), You should also replace the foam;

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic08f04/40-2691

I have a thread on a couple of things here;

I replaced my series 1 seats with 77 seats so I could have the seat flip forward, the handle is way easier to adjust seatback than the series 1 knob. I also prefer the seat bottom springs rather than the straps under the foam on the early seats.