IGNORED

Z Car Depot Lowering Springs

Muzez

Has anyone tried the 2" lowering springs from Z Car Depot? Haven't been able to find any reviews for this product, but was considering the product for the additional 1" drop for my 280z since I will be taking the bumpers off later this year. 

https://zcardepot.com/products/coil-spring-set-stock-and-lowered-240z-260z-280z?variant=21397321449585&currency=USD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwqJ_1BRBZEiwAv73uwHJmvt2Fqij6TJ1LuWyun2gwVYBJrjdV7AgPyqEAad1in6ueJQ8-YxoCiPMQAvD_BwE

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Maybe he has a picture of the springs on a lowered car.  I assume that they've been tested.  He has the stock height on his page.  2" is quite a bit, that pretty much closes the gap over the tire.  @zcardepot.com

image.png

Thanks @Zed Head! Yeah, 2" seems like a more sizeable drop which is why I was curious. Little worried about it bottoming out on speed bumps and the like. 

My car is still on 14s, so my wheel gap is significantly larger than the fantastic photo you posted above. But rims/tires are in the budget for the near term once my suspension is sorted out. 

dmuzial, the wheel size shouldn’t matter for the fender-to-tire gap, assuming the the wheel/tire choices closely match the original tire circumference and maintain an accurate speedometer.  I have been thinking about lowering my ‘75 280Z, but 2” is probably too aggressive for me.  I’m pretty sure my Z will scrape going in/out of my driveway.  I think 1” would be ideal for me, but I’m not sure what springs would do the job.  Another consideration is the ride quality and handling.  I’m currently clueless as to what to get.  I hope you find the set-up that you’re looking for. ?

3182AC54-9DD9-4A23-B858-010D9B9A0AF3.jpeg

Edited by SoCalJim
Added a picture

1 hour ago, dmuzial said:

My car is still on 14s, so my wheel gap is significantly larger than the fantastic photo you posted above. 

That picture is from the zcardepot site, to be clear.  Had to click around to find it and was surprised that he didn't show the lowering springs.  He has to know that that's what everyone wants to see.  We've all seen the stock height.

3 hours ago, SoCalJim said:

I’m not sure what springs would do the job.  Another consideration is the ride quality and handling.  I’m currently clueless as to what to get.  I hope you find the set-up that you’re looking for. ?

@SoCalJim been pulling together a listing of some of the options that are available. Will be adding to it over the next could of days. Will try to add more about ride quality, but its pretty subjective based on the driver. One that seems to get a lot of play if you are looking for a street setup are the MSA Eibachs. A few guys around the forum have recommended those to me as well as looking into swapping to the 240z isolators. 

I have the impression that my 280z runs high where 1 inch would not be enough. But that might just be in my head haha.  JuoNkTn76BFk8oSSLDaoCn27FiG_9vrsoOxdGfjH

I would love to get something like this setup.

None

I love the lines on this photo, but I can't imagine that this guy doesn't rub all time in an urban environment. 
image.png

@Zed Head Yeah, I looked around for backup info on those shocks around the forums and their website, but couldn't find anything. Maybe they forgot to upload it? 

• Like 1

It might be worthwhile for you to pull off your impact bumpers to see what your ride height would look like without them.  The 240Z bumpers are pretty lightweight.

My car seems to sit lower than yours, and It already has the 240Z bumpers installed.  That surprises me.

Edited by SoCalJim

15 hours ago, SoCalJim said:

It might be worthwhile for you to pull off your impact bumpers to see what your ride height would look like without them.  The 240Z bumpers are pretty lightweight.

My car seems to sit lower than yours, and It already has the 240Z bumpers installed.  That surprises me.

Yeah, that was my thought too. The 86lbs in weight reduction from dropping those bumpers might raise it up even higher. Starting to wonder if maybe the PO put springs from another car in. Taking apart the struts this weekend, will take a look and measure the springs

5 minutes ago, dmuzial said:

Taking apart the struts this weekend, will take a look and measure the springs

Actually @SoCalJim I decided to go grab one to check because I was curious. Looks like they are 15” which I think is around stock for the free length of the 280z. It’s definitely not the struts either because both are blown, no rebound when compressed. 

0FFCF365-6A0B-4F6B-824A-3A8E8C006677.jpeg

I’m not sure how mine compare as my springs are still in my car.  I think I have the same number of turns, but since it’s loaded, I can’t tell about the spring length.  I did just check my tire to wheel well gaps...~3” in the front and ~2.5” in the back.  I’m a bit surprised they’re that much.