Outer Tie Rod Ends - Page 2 - Suspension & Steering - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Outer Tie Rod Ends

Featured Replies

  • Author

ok, got the Moog outers from Summit, great buy.  Hopefully, I can spend some time on it today.  

Since I didnt buy new rubber bellows, they look fine, is it ok to clean these out with regular degreaser in the parts cleaner?  I'll be putting new grease on the rack and wanted to start really clean.  As long as I wash and dry well, would the degreaser harm the rubber?  Does anyone coat the rubber to prevent from cracking prematurely?

thanks!

Bill 

Hey Bill, I just researched this and heavy silicone spray is recommended to moisturize rubber parts. As far as cleaning, degreaser is probably ok but something milder might be better if the rubber is older. Dish soap maybe? . . . my two cents worth. I have a set of snap ring pliers arriving monday and I'll be able to do the final disassembly on my steering rack.    Best, Andy

Almost ready to put this stuff back in the car. . . 

FrontEnd.jpg

Is it me or are You’re strut rod washers inside out?

Thanks Yarb,

They were the other way round when I took it apart but I watched a video that specifically stated the concave side went toward the bushings?  I've also since bought the real rubber bushings for radius rods but they're so much thicker I'll need to clamp em in to even get the nut on. Maybe they go as you say?? Also got rubber for the sway bar drop links and pressed the new rubber upper bushings for track control arms. That was fun. Just need the bearing and seal for the pinion gear. Then it all goes back in the car and I start on the back.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Awesome, Keep up the good work...

Thanks Yarb,   yeah, I think you're right. . . Big cup washers go the other way round against the bushings. Just cuz some guy makes a bunch of videos while working on his Z doesn't mean he always knows what he's talking about. . . . Thanks for pointing it out.

Maybe some of the other members can chime in to clarify.

From experience, buy new lock nuts for the TC rods, strut rods, whatever. They are one use originally and I reused mine not knowing any better. Thankfully I heard one scraping the concrete after backing out of my garage. Found the cupped washer and the front bushing in the driveway. Lucky me. LOL

 

 

Cliff can you confirm the washer orientation on the TC rods?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.