IGNORED

New carbs 4000 rpm start

15 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

You'd be surprised at how much air can get through that small gap around your throttle valve.  I think you need to adjust those so that they're fully closed.

Is that butterfly gap about what the full choke position opens them to?

doesnt full choke drop the nozzle and open the butterfly?

Edited by 7tooZ
Added thought

I can't make out both butterflies, but the one I CAN see is not what I would call "closed". Different cars need different amounts, but IMHO, that's open much further than idle.

And some other weirdness, although I'm not sure it's related:

1) It looks like you're using 72 spacer blocks between the carbs and the intake manifolds, and they are upside down. I'm not sure that's causing you a vacuum leak or what, but if you're sucking air in there and then opening the butterflies to "compensate" maybe?

2) The linkage between the two carbs looks a little too short. Looks like the ball on the left side in the pic (front carb) is close to falling out of the receiving hole on the carb. I'm not sure what all the years parts you're working with here, but that's a problem that often occurs when there are 73 or 74 parts involved. I don't think you've got that, so I can't explain the issue there.