IGNORED

How to tell R or L hand cut key?

ProjectZZZ

Hey All,

I own a '71 s30, this sounds very silly but is there a way to tell if it takes a R or L hand cut key without looking at the key?

Reason is I got 2 keys from the previous owner and he had both sides cut with the same pattern so can't tell if its R or L cut by looking at the grooves. 

thanks, I can order 1 Right cut key and see if that works.

yeah, thanks zKars, some more context is I'm trying to find which of those repro key blanks I should buy. The symmetric cut keys I got with my car are thin because they are cut symmetrically and I have an odd fear its going to snap some day in one of the lock cylinders. Wanted the repro-keys for a better look and better piece.

Yeah, about keys… i owned a '72 240z and now i own a 240z from feb'71 and owned a few 280zx but they all had a set of keys!  One double bearded for the doors and a single bearded key for the ignition.  Tell me (someone)  …  what's Original.. a  one or a 2 sides (bearded) key for the ignitionlock?

Keys, from a spare set. left 1 beard key for ign. and right a 2 bearded key for doors and hatch.  (only the right one is an Original)

IMG-20200229-WA0008.jpeg

18 hours ago, zKars said:

There really are two mirror image blank styles.  And of course the early cars had the single edged keys.

MSA has a nice description.

1531A75E-E7AC-4988-A6BF-C2F54B3425FC.png

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/30-7457-58

Not sure about this since it's from Australia but in trying to figure out why they would have left and right key it seems Nissan used two steering lock types.  Two different key types?

Edited by siteunseen