IGNORED

Trouble Reattaching Speedometer Cable

daty240z

12 minutes ago, daty240z said:

Is it possible that the speedo and of the cable is stripped?

Did you look at it?  You can pull the whole cable out out of its sheath and examine it.  Sometimes they break in the middle.  Pull it out, make sure its complete, give the ends a close look, clean it up, add some lube, and shove it back in the sheath.

After they wear there can be enough room to get the sheath locked down without having the cable inside registered at its ends.  I have had that happen.  Like people are saying, the ends of the cable have to be set in their holes.  The sheath just holds it together once you get the ends placed properly.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

My one concern is that the tip of it might be broken off in the speedo because the cable squares up and drops in fine but it still doesn't move the needle. The first time I really tried to drive it after reattaching the cable all I heard was rattling. I find this very peculiar as the speedo worked perfectly before I removed the dash.

2 hours ago, daty240z said:

This is what mine looks like. Stripped?

E4DC9C18-774A-48AC-9DC2-9460B78B03C9.jpeg

I'm telling you man...pull that thing right out of there.  All the way.  Make it naked.  Grab the cable end and pull and it will slide right out.  If you can't get it back in it's broken anyway.

Here's one look at that end. Yours looks pretty normal.  The tip doesn't have the serrations.

image.png

https://jdm-car-parts.com/products/reproduction-speedomter-cable-for-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

It would help if the end of yours was rounded a bit like the cable in the lower picture. It would slip in the back of the speedo easier if it were. It's tough getting the proper alignment under the dash with all the crap you have to fight back there. That's likely most of your problem. If your Tach were out It would be much easier, but I'd probably follow the advice given above - remove the other end from the transmission, pull the cable back a bit, hook it up under the dash, and then push the cable (while turning it) back up into the speedo from the transmission end. Reconnect to the trans and you're set.

• Like 1

I've had the dash out of my 280ZX at least 4 times and never had a problem getting the cable to slip back in.

A number of people have advised you to disconnect it at the transmission end.  Have you done that? 

I'd do that, then try rotating the cable slightly a few degrees at a time until the cable will slide into the speedo smoothly.  I think your only problem is that the corners on the cable aren't lining up with the speedo.

Edited by Pilgrim

8 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

I've had the dash out of my 280ZX at least 4 times and never had a problem getting the cable to slip back in.

A number of people have advised you to disconnect it at the transmission end.  Have you done that? 

I'd do that, then try rotating the cable slightly a few degrees at a time until the cable will slide into the speedo smoothly.  I think your only problem is that the corners on the cable aren't lining up with the speedo.

I have not tried disconnecting the transmission side yet. From all of the input input I've been recieving and as you said above I think that could definitely be my issue. I guess I've been trying to avoid getting under the car ?. How easy/difficult have you found reattaching the cable at the transmission end? I spotted out the location today but never actually put a wrench to it.

You can pull the cable out partially and insert just the end of the cable in to the speedometer.  You can even twist it between your thumb and finger and should see the speedo needle move.  It will then be disconnected at the transmission end, but the sheath will still be connected.  That might work for you, the transmission end might slip in more easily, since it's a different shape.  Pull the speedo end out, firmly place it in to the speedo, then screw the end of the sheath down.  You might not have to get under the car to mess with the other end at all.

I think that you are being too cautious.  It's a very simple mechanism.  Easy to take apart and put back together.  Not as mysterious as it seems.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

You can pull the cable out partially and insert just the end of the cable in to the speedometer.  You can even twist it between your thumb and finger and should see the speedo needle move.  It will then be disconnected at the transmission end, but the sheath will still be connected.  That might work for you, the transmission end might slip in more easily, since it's a different shape.  Pull the speedo end out, firmly place it in to the speedo, then screw the end of the sheath down.  You might not have to get under the car to mess with the other end at all.

I think that you are being too cautious.  It's a very simple mechanism.  Easy to take apart and put back together.  Not as mysterious as it seems.

Thanks, I think I'm being too cautious too. I'm relatively new to this stuff and don't want to unnecessarily damage anything. I'll give your suggestion a shot in the AM. Hopefully the transmission end will slide right back in once I tighten down the speedo sheath.