IGNORED

I just bought my 1976 Datsun 280z and it has a lot of suspension problems with it while going over bumps it makes a pretty terrible sounding thud noise in the front left and back right of my car any suggestions ?

turbo280z

Forgive me for stating the obvious but jack it up and have a look.

Make sure all suspension bolts / nuts are present, check for broken spring, dead or leaking strut, broken anti roll bar mounts, damaged ARB etc etc

• Like 2

Try and find a long screw driver, pry bar, steel rod, something that you can use to pry between suspension parts to see if there is any slop or movement.  When you have the car up on jack stands you may not be able to find a problem just by using your hand, a little extra leverage can help. 

It could just be that your shocks are worn out and need replacing.  Post some pics if you can.

• Like 2

Another easy check with no tools required:  Once on the lift(or at the least front wheels off the ground) set the key so that the steering wheel is not locked(ACC position).

Grab either of the front wheels with your hands placed at 3:00 and 9:00 and give it a good shake back and forth. Any serious play will require further investigation. 

After that, you can move your hands into the 12:00 and 6:00 positions and repeat the shaking motion from the previous test.  Any major slop(or arguably any slop at all) will require a closer look at the source. 

• Like 1

Wow!! 17 with a 280z? You are one cool teenager! I only had a Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus with 40-50BHP. I think lawnmowers have more punch these days.

Classic Zs are great cars to learn on as most things are easily accessible and they are pretty simple mechanically.

• Haha 1

Hey guys sorry I haven’t been able to respond my app has glitched and said it doesn’t support my iPhone anymore even though it was working perfectly yesterday. I haven’t been able to take it too the lift just yet and am planning to do so around 3pm today I will try and give updates as I have to use my email. I haven’t put the turbo on my car just yet I want to make it safe to drive while it’s bone stock before I start pushing boost. The car is completely bone stock as of now. It has been sitting in a field for over 10years before I got my hands onto it ? it will be a very fun learning process and restoration. The car currently runs and drives but is unsafe to do the things i have planed. 

Give some specs.  Is it a coupe or a 2+2?  Automatic or manual?

Download the Service Manual for reference, linked below.  Surprising that it runs and drives, did you have some help getting it going?  Usually the fuel system is pretty well buggered up, after ten years.  Spokane is pretty dry though.

https://www.classiczcars.com/files/category/13-280z/

The car has been flushed of all fluids I have just it done doing a brand new efi system in it. The car is a coupe I’m pretty sure but unable to tell of it is the 2x2. It’s a 4 speed manual as well if I’m driving you best bet it’s going to be manual ?