IGNORED

Anyone know what aftermarket Auxiliary Air Regulator Valves fit on a 280z?

iflanzy

There is a used Datsun one for sale on eBay, unknown condition for $45 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Datsun-280Z-IDLE-AIR-CONTROLLER-AUXILIARY-REGULATOR-may-fit-other-years/133279669808?hash=item1f08165e30:g:aJYAAOSwe-td~W3Q

I have a couple of those I won't be using as well, I am sticking to carbs.. I have not tested them. 

Would definitely appreciate you guys looking for those extra regulators @madkaw and @Terrapin Z, as long as you think they'd work. If you can't find them, I might just go with the one on ebay Terrapin listed.

I tried the freezer test and it didn't open the valve anymore than it already was so it's looking like a broken part. 

9 minutes ago, iflanzy said:

Would definitely appreciate you guys looking for those extra regulators @madkaw and @Terrapin Z, as long as you think they'd work. If you can't find them, I might just go with the one on ebay Terrapin listed.

I tried the freezer test and it didn't open the valve anymore than it already was so it's looking like a broken part. 

Did you see my post?

2 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

I have a couple of those I won't be using as well, I am sticking to carbs.. I have not tested them.

Pic's added : 1 Bosch, and two Japanese with different numbers on them. They are all about half way open. I really never looked into how to test them. I am not sure what the difference would be in the different models. What was your statement reference about it being broken? The FSM shows the test is with power not just temp. did you try this test? Looks like powered heat closes it, and ambient temp opens it but it does not say how much. 

IMG_2809.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 5.30.24 PM.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, iflanzy said:

I tried the freezer test and it didn't open the valve anymore than it already was

It doesn't need to open much to function properly. Only needed for cold start op's.

I would be more concerned if it wasn't closing all the way after the car is up to operating temps. If it doesn't close it will increases idle

Edited by rcb280z
  • Like 1

rcb is right, it just needs to close when warm.  It has a heater inside it.  If it's open at room temperature that's good.  Apply 12 volts to the terminals and it should close in a few minutes.

But it's not a vacuum leak if it doesn't close, it's a throttle blade bypass.  Like opening up your idle speed screw.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

But it's not a vacuum leak if it doesn't close, it's a throttle blade bypass

That is correct. I have since corrected my post. Thanks Zed Head, had to think about that one for a minute. Still struggling with memory these days.

Edited by rcb280z
  • Like 1