IGNORED

Crankcase to PCV Valve Hose

ea6driver

2 hours ago, ea6driver said:

A lot of the crud in there is hard and caked on...I'd be surprised if anything with plastic bristles is going to hack it..

I'd beat it on the garage floor, a rock, or a tree to break the stuff loose.  Plug the ends if you don't want it to fly out.

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Sorry... I've hear that the silver coating is ELECTRICALLY conductive. I believe the belief was static dissipative or spark prevention?

Apologize for the confusion.

Can't that be measured?  I wonder if a meter would show something.  I had heard that the top hose was conductive, the black one.  Might have got the PVC hoses mixed up.

I didn't even know the silver color was a coating.  I thought the material itself was silver.  And that it was a silicone material.  Maybe somebody painted a rubber hose silver  on ea6's car and that's not even a Nissan hose.  Anybody got a hose laying around and some solvent?

Edited by Zed Head

Electrically conductive coatings can be measured, but depending on the style of coating, it might not be as simple as sticking your generic VOM leads into it. If it's intended to be "static dissipative", it might be a high resistance. In the MegOhm range. And in that range, the resistance through your body might be enough to get a reading on the meter, so if you're touching the leads (or what you're measuring) with your fingers, you won't know if it's the coating, or you.

So...half the job is done.  I was able to completely ream out the hose with a wire brush on an extension.  Got most everything out from inside I think.  I'm sure it's 100% functional again.  Now to repaint it Hi Temp Silver, as it originally was.  The more I inspect this hose, the more I believe it is factory original...primarily because of the preformed bends and the unique way one end of it is formed where it attaches to the crankcase pipe.  You can clearly see where it was manufactured with a pronounced expansion at that end to accommodate the larger opening of that fitting.  Thanks for all the advice....once again!

pcv valve hose.jpg

• Like 2