IGNORED

Seats and other interior

z8987

My seats 70 series one seem to be in good shape, but some what compressed.  Is there a product out there that would make it possible for me to rebuild my seats, or should I leave this to a professional?

Also, are there original carpet kits available ? 

This may be what I'm looking for:  

Edited by z8987

I refreshed the seats on my Honda insight this summer and it was very satisfying and not difficult. I had two sets of seats with a variety of wear and dirt on the various parts. I was able to wash the material and use the best foam to make a very nice set.

mefore starting, My wife had always complained about the back and butt support of these seats so when I disassembled, I sliced foam from the beat up parts to add to the set to be restored.  By carefully adding the correct amounts, and correct shapes of foam, I was able to make the seats more to her liking.  This method can also be used to take up slop from sagging, compressed areas.

Instead of hog rings, I used wire ties that are faster and well proven substitutes.  If it was a classic car, I would use the hog rings.

I would have no problems attacking Z seats now that I have learned from the Honda.

2 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

I refreshed the seats on my Honda insight this summer and it was very satisfying and not difficult. I had two sets of seats with a variety of wear and dirt on the various parts. I was able to wash the material and use the best foam to make a very nice set.

mefore starting, My wife had always complained about the back and butt support of these seats so when I disassembled, I sliced foam from the beat up parts to add to the set to be restored.  By carefully adding the correct amounts, and correct shapes of foam, I was able to make the seats more to her liking.  This method can also be used to take up slop from sagging, compressed areas.

Instead of hog rings, I used wire ties that are faster and well proven substitutes.  If it was a classic car, I would use the hog rings.

I would have no problems attacking Z seats now that I have learned from the Honda.

Thanks for the encouragement 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, z8987 said:

Will this work for my 1970 Series 1?

Also, keeping the car original, should I try to use the original seat cover?  Is there such thing as an original new cover? 

These are the replacement seat covers I purchased and installed about 10 years ago - pictured with the original covers for comparison.  They came from Seatz, a company in CA, probably the most "original-like" covers available at that time.  He does not sell retail.  The last I heard he was selling thru MSA - a call to them would be in order to confirm. I used a hog-ring kit to install and similar to @240260280, added some sections of 1/2" thick upholstery foam to beef up various areas of the seats.

38.jpg

39.jpg

41.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I have had excellent results on now 3 sets of seats with interior innovations leather kits.   If you use new foam, the fit is very tight on the final closure on the bottom and seat back.   I had to trim the foam on the bottom, and add 2" of material on the closure of the seat back.   First set is about 3 years now in my daily driver, still look great. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, S30Driver said:

I have had excellent results on now 3 sets of seats with interior innovations leather kits.   If you use new foam, the fit is very tight on the final closure on the bottom and seat back.   I had to trim the foam on the bottom, and add 2" of material on the closure of the seat back.   First set is about 3 years now in my daily driver, still look great. 

I think I'll order a set tomorrow.