IGNORED

Help rear disc brake conversion

Blitzed

Hi All,

Had a service provider preform a rear disc brake conversion on a 73 240Z. Basically the stage one kit from MSA. Maxima calipers with 280z rotors. Before the car went into the shop the suspension was upgraded with new springs and struts. eibach springs 1" lower then stock.  

When the car was delivered from the service provider, began to experience a clunking in the rear of the car (drivers side first, then pass). Upon inspection for loose gland nut / strut or suspension issues,  discovered (when the car was on the ground and the suspension was fully loaded) the SS hard brake line mount (L bracket mounted on the sub frame) is making contact with the emergency brake line mount on the Maxima caliper. See photos attached.

This is the same on both sides very tight space to coexist with an active suspension. The SS hard line mount (on frame) is sitting slightly above the emergency brake line bracket at idle. Upon compression clunk, clunk, as it passes below and return to idle. 

Please respond if you've preformed this specific rear brake conversion. Not only is this annoying but very dangerous as the flex brake line is also making contact and could be pinched/cut. 

Do you have to re-position the frame mount slightly forward? Are there other emergency brake line brackets? or other to gain clearance necessary so the mounts can pass each other without contact. . 

Thank you.  

Brake line driver side 1.jpg

brake line passenger rear 1.jpg

I just removed my Maxima calipers a couple of days ago, so it looks like your adapter plate is clocked too far to the left or CCW on the D/S, lets call it 10:00 at the moment but if you remove the plate and move it CW by one bolt hole to make it sit at 1:00 then there will be no interference and the parking brake cable will have a straighter line.  It also means you can't use the stock rubber flex line anymore and will have to go with the longer SS flex lines.

If you don't want to go that route you could start shaving both the brake line mount and the parking brake mount on the caliper.

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

Hi Grannyknot,

Thank you for the advise and images, never considered the caliper position.

It appears the shop, re-purposed my old drum flex lines with new fittings may be why the caliper is in the 10:00 clock position, shorter brake lines. They fabbed a emergency brake cable mount welding the end mount (clip to hold the cable) from the old drum EBC set-up . These are the tack welds you're seeing in the photo. 

Since I didn't procure the parts and have zero instructions to the conversion. Two questions:

Is there a preferred rear caliper position on the rear rotor for braking performance?  10:00 versus 1:00?

They crossed over the emergency brake cables (original stock) above the diff. Was this to make the cables shorter to fit to the calipers? Or a common process for the disc conversion?

Thanks again. 

7 hours ago, Blitzed said:

These are the tack welds you're seeing in the photo. 

yeah, I was going to say don't pull on that hand brake too hard.LOL

7 hours ago, Blitzed said:

Is there a preferred rear caliper position on the rear rotor for braking performance?  10:00 versus 1:00?

Doesn't matter really, just long as they have room to radiate heat and catch the breeze.  You'll notice a difference when you get the SS flex lines, I found they really firmed the pedal up.

• Like 1

Thanks All,

New SS rear flex brake lines and emergency brake mounts (for the Maxima caliper) are on the way. Pissed I'm paying for this work twice.

Need to replace the rear hard SS lines going to the frame mount. Previous caretaker of the car used vise grips on the fitting (left and right). 

Are the only options to buy a complete set of SS hard lines ($350.00) or make them? Any suppliers that sell the SS hard lines piece by piece? 73 240Z 

Making option: what dia SS line is needed and what is the flare fitting tread size and pitch?

Thanks again.