IGNORED

R200 conversion using Whitehead Mustache Bar

Yarb

Attempting to install the R200 diff using Whiteheads mustache bar. The unit has offset washers tie wrapped to the bar front and back when I unboxed it.  Not sure what they are for. Tried to contact them by email and left a vm. Need some help from anybody familiar with this product. The mounting hole seems a bit large and would have a lot of play on the rear of the diff. Not sure what I’m missing here.No possible way to use the washers. Studs protrude out 1/2 inch withe the aluminum washers.No way near long enough

The aluminum washers for the diff studs. They are offset in thickness. Let me try to explain this another way. There are four aluminum washers that mount the bar to the differential. Each washer is in the form of a wedge. I assume they are for offsetting the angle at the diff when mounted. The problem is if you use washers front and back the studs are to short. I’d say 3/8” protruding through the hole.

Edited by Yarb

Pictures would still be good.  The washers in the picture I posted look flat.

Is there a gap between the mustache bar and the diff when the front diff mount is bolted up?  It would be goofy to keep making the bars if they're not right, then add washers to shim it.  Maybe you got a mistake.  You can remove the studs and get longer ones.

I hate to say it again, but Whitehead's explanation is goofy.  He could have made the bar to fit properly, "stress-free".  Not sure what he's doing with his special washers.

Includes WHP exclusive diff mounting washers to properly mount diff with no stress or tension on the Mustache Bar unlike other designs.

• Billet 6061 Aluminum – excellent strength
  • Uses standard Urethane Mustache Bar Bushings in choice of black or red bushings
  • WHP Mustache Bar comes pre-assembled with all hardware included (diff mounting nuts excepted)
  • All hardware is either plated or stainless steel
  • Includes WHP diff mounting washers
  • Easily Installed and Removed Bolt-On solution for mounting an R200 diff
  • Includes WHP diff mounting washers

I got an email from Mike and explained the situation. The bar does not lay flat against the diff. It’s suspended by the washers which is completely opposite from the OEM bar. I’m up grading to a 200 and thought it was going to be a simple bolt on. I’ve rebuilt the entire rear suspension and a little Leary of installing it. He had never heard of anyone else having this problem with stud length. The R200 came from an 83ZX which has a different mount but the raw diff looks like my 180 except more robust. I’m having a hard time believing this is the design. He did say the thick side of the washer goes towards the bottom on the inside and reversed on the outside. Following that advice leaves me a very short stud length. He also said it would be ok to leave off the outside washer if need be. Totally Confused on what to do.

1978 280Z Manufacture date 1/78

just checked out Techno toy and their bar requires in-house modification if it’s a s31 diff being used on a S30. Interesting....

Zed I misspoke my R200 is not a Z31 300Z

83 280ZX

Edited by Yarb

The piece  I’m concerned about is it does not lay flat against the diff if you use their offset washers. I don’t see anyone else doing that. I’m considering returning it and going another route. Looking for some advice? 

58 minutes ago, Yarb said:

The piece  I’m concerned about is it does not lay flat against the diff if you use their offset washers. I don’t see anyone else doing that. I’m considering returning it and going another route. Looking for some advice? 

If you have had the rear cover off of your R200 you will have seen how deep those cover studs go and the supports around them.  Whether the M bar lays flat against the cover or stands off with washers you're not going to see any movement or breakage if that is what concerns you. For the most part the diff just hangs from the M bar, when your taking a hard corner and put your foot into it as you exit the twisting will take place at the bushings at the end of the M bar.

Thanks, What do you think about the slanted off set washers that come in the kit. I was told by Whitehead they are used for leveling. OEM doesn’t require them. Just wanted a bar to bolt on and put my rebuilt suspension back together. The other concern is once it’s installed it’s mine.