IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

On 1/27/2020 at 10:29 PM, HS30-H said:

Kats,

Just to clarify, on the 1969-on Japanese market 'Deluxe' seats, what I was calling the 'Flip Forward Lever' - if you have the seat fully reclined, and then pull the lever UP, the seat back will flip forward on its own - right?

And if you are sitting in the seat and want to quick recline all the way back, you pull the lever up and lean back - right? 

The big rotary knob still controls incremental seat back angle independently of the lever - right?

Or am I wrong?

Hi Alan , yes you are absolutely correct ! My explanations was not made properly.

What I want to say is , the early seat reclining mechanism up to January 1971 folds only just a little bit to forward, it shits almost in up light position . Not fold fully forward like the later reclining mechanism. Later one’s seat back supports need travel more forward, so the mechanism cover has to have more wide opening. That is why I say the early mechanism cover has wider tab , smaller opening.

Thanks Alan !!

Kats

5B042175-AEF3-4607-A00D-A33579DEA1AE.jpeg

69725A75-7C9E-4400-977E-26977DB2241F.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

Thanks christoffel , I was so happy that you liked my Z432 even in a crazy hot , humid summer in Japan . Everything was boiled, no A/C , sorry about that . At that time the seats were originals from Jan 1970 , but now they are in my storage to maintain their condition .Instead  of that , a pair of newly re-upholstery seats done by Mr. Sudo are in my Z432 .

Kats

50 minutes ago, inline6 said:

@KatZ "This  PS30-00248 has a seat belt tag “ 4. 1970 “ , and the jack has a date stamp “ P. D. H “ ( means 1970 , April , 8th ) . I would like to see the jack of the BAT car much closer , I see “ P “ on the left , but it is not clearly seen , so I will wait until I get the clear shot."

Using letters for dates is interesting... I never knew about that.  How does the stamping indicate a day in the month after the 26th?  How does the 16th letter in the alphabet get assigned to 1970?

Ah, I found the info you posted about this before.  And dates beyond the 26th? AA, BB, CC, DD, etc.  Cool.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, inline6 said:

@KatZ "This  PS30-00248 has a seat belt tag “ 4. 1970 “ , and the jack has a date stamp “ P. D. H “ ( means 1970 , April , 8th ) . I would like to see the jack of the BAT car much closer , I see “ P “ on the left , but it is not clearly seen , so I will wait until I get the clear shot."

Using letters for dates is interesting... I never knew about that.  How does the stamping indicate a day in the month after the 26th?  How does the 16th letter in the alphabet get assigned to 1970?

Hi inline6 , thanks for asking me ! I was waiting for someone asked me about that . Here is a good thread for you , we gathered our own observations what we have , thanks Mike B , Zup , Terrapin Z and others , we are confident about this de-coding .

I still don’t know why “ P “ means 1970 , in this method “ A” means 1955 . 
We just know 1969 car has O , 1970 car has P , 1971 has Q , and then ... What does 1955 mean for Nissan motor company ?

And the answer for your question, after 26th , it is shown like this , 27th AA , 28th BB , 29th CC .... 

Kats

Yes thanks you inline6 !

I hope everyone will be interested in their own tools , and gather more information, we will see some new facts . And some day these tools will turn to be a mandatory item for such a premium auction car , or a car into a judged car show .

Kats

Edited by kats

6 hours ago, kats said:

Hi Alan , yes you are absolutely correct ! My explanations was not made properly.

What I want to say is , the early seat reclining mechanism up to January 1971 folds only just a little bit to forward, it shits almost in up light position . Not fold fully forward like the later reclining mechanism. Later one’s seat back supports need travel more forward, so the mechanism cover has to have more wide opening. That is why I say the early mechanism cover has wider tab , smaller opening.

Thanks Alan !!

Kats

Perfect! Thanks Kats.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 8:47 PM, Patcon said:

It's a double edged sword! It's great if you're ready to cash out. Not so great if you want to drive them and enjoy them. Harder to insure and you have to start thinking like a Ferrari owner. Is it safe, is someone going to vandalize it or hit it in the parking lot. I sort of miss the "it's a cheap car" thing. It made it very low stress to "drive it like you stole it" and to park it anywhere. The flip side of rising prices is the availability of new reproduction parts that wouldn't exist if the cars didn't have the underlying value

Exactly my thoughts. Always in the back of my mind í'm afraid some a-hole will put a nice long scratch on it when it's parked somewhere in a busy area.. or kick a mirror of or something. Some people just can't behave towards stuff they can't afford themselves...

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 4:13 AM, kats said:

Recently I found a Dino which I would really  love to buy in Europe  , so my Z hobby  is ending I think ( I hope ) .I feel I did enough for my Zs .  But selling all my cars seems not enough at all for buying the price of the Dino , maybe it is going to be a pipe dream ? I am just hoping currency exchanging rate will turn 

good for Japanese Yen in some day . But JPY going strong means economy of the world is having a big risk / crisis . In that situation , can I sell my cars ?? 

I was looking into a Dino project a few years ago, but IMO they are asking way to much money for that car cause it's a " Ferrari "...

I'm not going to give $^!# loads of cash for a rusty crusty restoration project myself. Not going to fall into that trap again.

The comments on BaT continue to intrigue and amaze me. This one in particular:

Mr. Yutaka Katayama (RIP) must be quite honored that his design has such a devoted fan base with so much knowledge. On another level, I can only surmise that first and foremost he designed this car with the driving experience in mind. I’d love to hear more stories from the experienced about the well thought out the driving position is, how smooth the sweet 6 is at revs, how compliant the suspension (IRS) is over poor roads, the fluid throw of the shifts, and so on. No doubt he dedicated countless hours designing these tactile elements into that pretty styling exercise. These are what make this car so very special. I’d love to read more about the experience.

Wow. How does it happen that people come to such misapprehension?

Coincidentally, I had an online 'conversation' on another forum recently where my correspondent was telling me that Katayama was "a fully qualified engineer" and had designed and engineered "the 240Z" to his own particular needs. I told him that Yutaka Katayama was an economics graduate with a background in advertising and sales - not an engineer. He would not concede the point. 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 11:25 PM, 240260280 said:

That white striping with 240z letters on the side is not original correct ? Is it a sticker or painted on later ?

I'm always sceptical when it comes to " survivor " cars.. along the way usually something is restored on it, but they don't tell it.

1 hour ago, HS30-H said:

The comments on BaT continue to intrigue and amaze me. This one in particular:

Wow. How does it happen that people come to such misapprehension?

Coincidentally, I had an online 'conversation' on another forum recently where my correspondent was telling me that Katayama was "a fully qualified engineer" and had designed and engineered "the 240Z" to his own particular needs. I told him that Yutaka Katayama was an economics graduate with a background in advertising and sales - not an engineer. He would not concede the point. 

He didn't design it for sure, but he made it a succes in the states.

People make mistakes, I did to

2 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

I was looking into a Dino project a few years ago, but IMO they are asking way to much money for that car cause it's a " Ferrari "...

Jokes on them, since it's actually a Dino, in the same way a Datsun is a "Nissan". :).

2 hours ago, HS30-H said:

I don't know where you find the patience to argue such points with folks who have already made up their own minds.

My thoughts on this car is that the zinc/cad plating is too nice for a survivor to have never been redone. I feel like the car has had a few touch ups and light restoration to bring it to this condition. I could of course be wrong, but if it was really such a time capsule car used so sparingly then why were the parts changed that have been identified in this thread.

That white striping with 240z letters on the side is not original correct ? Is it a sticker or painted on later ?

It's a decal/sticker.

I'm always sceptical when it comes to " survivor " cars.. along the way usually something is restored on it, but they don't tell it.

I tend to agree, but it is possible that they have been well kept and hidden away all these years. A recent deceased estate in Australia (Benalla which is quite a remote area in Victoria) meant a few cars were pulled from storage (not really a barn) with very low miles.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CWdhoXxY9WjdXoKE2

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/brand-new-ford-xc-falcon-500-panel-van-auctioned

https://www.viczcar.com/forums/topic/17311-cars-for-sale-3rd-party-sites-ebay-carsales-etc/?do=findComment&comment=185723

However NB: the zinc/cad plating is not anywhere near as bright as on this 907 Green 240z on BAT.

Either way it's still as Kats points out a beautiful specimen, but keeping any car in pristine condition over 50 years without nicks, bumps, scrapes etc.. is very hard. Even if you don't have kids around. ?