IGNORED

240z engine/transmission swap

Gizmohawk

I need help, im trying to restore a 240z. The engine I currently have is the original one but I was gifted a 5 speed transmission, l28 engine and Weber carbs. I just need help with assembly. I've been doing some research and I have a basic idea but here are some questions I have.

Are the crankshaft and other pulleys interchangeable with current engine and new l28?

Does fuel line material matter?

Is there anything else I need to replace in order to complete the swap?

The damper and pulleys should swap easily.  No need to do so though.

Since you're using carbs you don't need EFI hose.  Just get some quality fuel line.

You will probably need to do some exhaust system work, depending on where the L28 came from and how complete it is.  The L24 manifold and down pipes might be smaller than L28 parts.  280ZX manifolds are different from 280Z manifolds.  Basically though, the L28 and L24 engines are almost identical on the outside.  Everything should swap over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

The damper and pulleys should swap easily.  No need to do so though.

Since you're using carbs you don't need EFI hose.  Just get some quality fuel line.

You will probably need to do some exhaust system work, depending on where the L28 came from and how complete it is.  The L24 manifold and down pipes might be smaller than L28 parts.  280ZX manifolds are different from 280Z manifolds.  Basically though, the L28 and L24 engines are almost identical on the outside.  Everything should swap over.

Cool thanks for your help. The l28 is a reman engine never installed.  I have an exhaust manifold for the l28 and I'm not sure from what model it came from. And as to mounts it should be a simple swap, theoretically right?

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Im not to sure who remaned it. I'm the third owner of this engine and the previous two owners never installed it but here is the plaque on the engine and the webers

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

What webers did you get? You might read some and get the easier SU carbs. I had some triples and sold them. Too much tuning for me, never installed them. The SUs are so much simpler and pull good enough for me. Everybody says the webers sound good. What the hell does that add? LOL

And as of now I have someone to do all the tunning but just looking to install it myself. And I do have some su carbs that are on the current engine but as I was trying to tune them I found more and more parts to replace so I just said why not replace everything.

596425051.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

596425063.jpg

Edited by Gizmohawk

Looks like a Nissan reman.  Rebuilt to Nissan specs.  Should get 200,000 + miles from it.

Do you know where it's been stored, and how?  Does it have oil in it or is it empty?  I would assume that Nissan coats the internals for rust prevention in preparation for shipping and storage, but who knows how long that lasts.  Might be worthwhile to inspect rust prone surfaces before starting it.  I don't know when Nissan stopped supplying reman engines but I'll bet it was over 20 years ago, at least.  That engine has been floating around for that long.

Fixed your picture -

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Looks like a Nissan reman.  Rebuilt to Nissan specs.  Should get 200,000 + miles from it.

Do you know where it's been stored, and how?  Does it have oil in it or is it empty?  I would assume that Nissan coats the internals for rust prevention in preparation for shipping and storage, but who knows how long that lasts.  Might be worthwhile to inspect rust prone surfaces before starting it.  I don't know when Nissan stopped supplying reman engines but I'll bet it was over 20 years ago, at least.  That engine has been floating around for that long.

Fixed your picture -

image.png

No I'm not sure on how it's been stored, here is a picture of the engine. You think it should be torn apart and inspected?

596445302.jpg

Edited by Gizmohawk

I might pull the pan and the valve cover and see how it looks. If it looks good I would probably run it. If you have access to a boroscope you could look into the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Triple Webers are a magnitude more complex than the SU's

• Like 2