IGNORED

Tasks I Should Do While Oil Pan Is Off?

Muzez

Hi Guys!

Tracking down an oil leak. Getting some light leaking from the back of the oil pan even after tightening, so I was planning on removing the pan and replacing the seal.

Wanted to see if there are any other maintenance tasks I should think about doing while the engine oil is drained and the pan is off. 

if it continues to leak after replacing the pan gasket, look for oil from the valve cover working its way down, if dry upstairs, look at the weep hole between the trans and the metal shield. If you see oil coming out of there, its prob a rear main and/or side seals. Only way to know for sure is to pull the trans/clutch/flywheel. then you can see exactly which if not both. Rear main you can do then then, the side seals will require pulling the  pan and rear bearing cap.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave WM said:

Rear main you can do then then, the side seals will require pulling the  pan and rear bearing cap.

Valve cover looks dry. Fully expecting it to be the rear main seal. Will keep you posted! 

11 hours ago, grannyknot said:

If your pan has never been off before you could have some nice thick paste like goo at the bottom that is a buggar to get out, best method I have found is 4-5 oz of gasoline and keep stirring until it is all moving.

Ooo. Excited for that thick goo paste. Thanks for the heads up, will have some extra gas on hand. 

I've only messed with ZX's, so someone will have to chime in if I am wrong, as my S30 knowledge base is pretty low.  However, on the S130's you must raise the engine a bit to make enough room to get the oil pan out from in between the engine block and crossmember.  I've heard of people turning the crank in such a way as to position it so that the gasket can be slid in between the pan and block for installation, without raising the engine and removing the oil pan, but that doesn't seem to make a proper cleaning possible. 

If you have to hoist the engine, then perhaps now is a good time to replace engine mounts.   

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 8:06 AM, Reptoid Overlords said:

On the S130's you must raise the engine a bit to make enough room to get the oil pan out from in between the engine block and crossmember.  

Was looking through the guide on S30 and it looks like it is possible to do it without lifting the engine. Link below in case it is helpful for S130 as well. 
https://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/76816-oil-pan-removal-280z.html

I will be lifting the engine over the next couple of months to do some rust clean up on the engine sub frame so I can do the engine mounts them. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1