IGNORED

Correct Emissions Decal for 8/70 Manufacture Date

DannDZ

Can someone tell me what is the correct emissions under-hood decal for a Z registered as a '71 and a manufacture date of  8/70? Is it the silver/white as for the 1970 model (https://www.zzxdatsun.com/catDecals.php) or a gold-tone one with a '71 date mentioned?

There is no emission equipment on this car. It does not have the "new" air cleaner box. Were these applied at manufacturing or in the U.S.? Where did the sticker change?

Any insights are appreciated.

Check out Banzai for your decals, both emissions and air filter box.  When you say "new" air cleaner box, I presume you mean the model with the heat riser tube connected to the snorkel.  You indicate you have the earlier one without the snorkel butterfly and no riser tube.  I think these models did not have decals but other members might better clarify.

http://www.zzxdatsun.com/catDecals.php

1 hour ago, 240dkw said:

I agree with Jim, look at your carb linkage if there is no C and D adjustment screws then you have a true non emissions set up and would not have any decals on the air filter box. 

Very good point, thanks.  Dan, go to the Banzai site and look at decal DE-03.  If your carbs linkage matches that image, then that is the decal set for your air filter box.

9 hours ago, DannDZ said:

Can someone tell me what is the correct emissions under-hood decal for a Z registered as a '71 and a manufacture date of  8/70? Is it the silver/white as for the 1970 model (https://www.zzxdatsun.com/catDecals.php) or a gold-tone one with a '71 date mentioned?

There is no emission equipment on this car. It does not have the "new" air cleaner box. Were these applied at manufacturing or in the U.S.? Where did the sticker change?

Any insights are appreciated.

DannDZ, when I restored my car, I needed the correct emissions decal for my 1/71 car which was imported through Los Angeles

I ended up having the correct 71 emissions decals for both car that entered the country through California, and all the other domestic ports of entry.  These decal are very correct and have not been offered for sale yet, but would sell to anyone interested.

The first picture is a reproduction of the third picture, and the second picture is of both the original and reproduction California decal.

Dan

357B294A-0CF4-4AC9-9A02-AA2CC5C00E0D.jpeg

E5EFCC8D-A4C2-4DEE-992C-22CDD30B6A61.jpeg

AE857430-B052-49B2-9C65-73C63E0892C0.jpeg

Edited by AZ-240z
Spelling
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Very good point, thanks.  Dan, go to the Banzai site and look at decal DE-03.  If your carbs linkage matches that image, then that is the decal set for your air filter box.

Thanks jfa and 240dkw. My air filter box stickers match DE-03. I only have two stickers. You are right about my air filter box "the earlier one without the snorkel butterfly and no riser tube."

My primary interest is in the correct "Vehicle Emissions Control Information" sticker on the hood. I bought one in 1998 from Bonzai and I think it was gold-toned. At least that's what it looks like now. My brother hit it with a power washer before a show and the printing is gone. In 2001 I purchased DE-12, the '71 Tune-up/emissions decal, to replace the washed off one. It has not yet been installed and it clearly says 1971.

So it comes down to two basic questions: 1) Do I need Bonzai's DE-07 or DE-12? 2) What color are/were they? Gold-tone or silver?

Thanks for all your helpful comments.

13 hours ago, AZ-240z said:

when I restored my car, I needed the correct emissions decal for my 1/71 car which was imported through Los Angeles

Thanks for your input. The decal you shows matches the reproduction I bought, and still have not installed, from Banzai in 2001. My air filter box "the earlier one without the snorkel butterfly and no riser tube."

I understand that "back then" dealers had some flexibility in what year to title a car. It depended on a number of factors including manufacture date and when it arrived in the U.S. As I said, mine has a manufacture date of 8/70. Unfortunately for me now, the dealer decided to title it as a 1971. I understand why, but I do wish it was a '70.

I think the biggest question for me right now is were both '70 and '71 emission stickers silver? If they were, then I more than likely have the right one "in stock." If '70 had a gold-tone, then I need to find a gold-tone sticker. May be time to call Banzai!

5 hours ago, 87mj said:

Indy?  I'm up by Ft Wayne.  I have a 6/70 that I am putting back together.  It's decal was silver.  The ink wore off and the decal is long gone due to a repaint. 

I have a 5/71 with a gold decal.  

Hi neighbor! I'd down in the Greenwood area south of Indy. I'm just trying to attend to some details on my car. So, what I understand from you is that earlier cars had silver decals and sometime 5/71 or earlier they moved to the gold decal. So, my 9/70 is likely to have a silver 1971 emissions sticker.

Off topic a bit, but do you happen to know anyone in the area who is good at setting up the original round-top carbs. I'd like to get them tuned properly and I really can't be too sure of my talent!

13 hours ago, DannDZ said:

I think the biggest question for me right now is were both '70 and '71 emission stickers silver? If they were, then I more than likely have the right one "in stock." If '70 had a gold-tone, then I need to find a gold-tone sticker. May be time to call Banzai!

Both of the emissions decals that I had reproduced are gold.  And the real decals shown that I used to copy are

gold.  I was not able to find any gold repros, thus my need to make my own.