IGNORED

Bad Spacer, BAD!

zKars

I just never seem to learn. Needed some 1/4 to 1/2" spacers for the last couple of sets of front wheels I've had on my 510 to get them to clear the coil overs and fit the car right. Everybody does this to trim-out-the-fitment thing. Well I went to the speed shop and bought some that are 3/8". How hard is it to get a flat piece of metal with some holes in it?

Well I learned the hard way, again. Very hard apparently. The only ones they had were, shall we say, not very expensive.

IMG_2549.JPEG

These cast aluminum or unknown pot metal something's are absolutely pieces of you-know-what. I have been battling wheel shimmy for months, and never dreamed it would be these things.

They are only 0.015 inch variance in thickness, but that amount, magnified out to the wheel/tire diameter made the wheels run out by 0.050 inches, which is nearly 1/16". 

Replaced them with these. Had a local metal shop laser cut these in 15 min. 5.75 diameter, 3" center hole, 1/2 diameter bolt holes at 4.5 bolt spacing.  1/4" 6061 

IMG_2552.JPEG

TOTALLY REMOVED ANY AND ALL STEERING WHEEL VIBRATION I HAD, and it was not insignificant. Almost made it unpleasant to drive. Reminded me of this

fatjiggle.jpg

Beware!

I wonder where they are made.... hmmmmmm....

Another way to see just how anti-flat these are. I sprayed them lightly with black and gave them a quick surface sanding on my reference flat abrasive platten (3/4" MDF with glued on sand paper).

IMG_2554.JPEG

Edited by zKars
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Man has lathe, mill and drill press and most definitely 'could' have made my own, did considered filing, but was not at home at the time of the discovery and need for a solution. Had to resort to the solution of spending money. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

• Like 2