IGNORED

75 280Z won't run.

@honti10

75 280Z was running before I swapped my 5 speed, engine was rebuilt 1 year ago and running fine but I don't know if timings are correct never care to check it.

Now my idiotic mind played. So upon the process I did replaced oil pan gasket, rear main seal and the oil pump gasket because it is leaking oil everywhere. I know that I had to put engine in TDC before removing the oil pump, now my mistake I forgot to put it back correctly so it probably messed up the timing??? Second I pressure washed the bay because I want it to be clean after the swap.

Now swap is completed, crank the engine, spark yes, fuel yes. Engine sputters and won't run.

Went back to fix oil pump and dizzy orientation the correct way 11:25 short tang on left side. Dizzy rotor on point with #1 plug on dizzy cap. Cylinder #1 at TDC.

When engine at TDC crankshaft is way off. 

So when I made the mistake of not putting the correct orientation of the oil pump prong the first time will it offset the crankshaft right away?

I have not checked the crank position after I corrected oil pump and dizzy timing.

20190811_153100.jpg

20190811_121526.jpg

Are the first 2 cam lobes pointed up?

Image result for 240z cam lobes at tdc

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/timing/mechtime.html

Image result for 240z firing order

If it's at TDC the pulley should only be able to go on with the slot for the square key pointing straight up.

Image result for tdc siteunseen classiczcars.com 

Is your AFM plugged in and sealed up good?  You should check your vacuum and fuel pressure.

Make sure these aren't crossed up too.

Image result for 280z tps adjustment classiczcars.com

Edited by siteunseen

11 hours ago, @honti10 said:

When engine at TDC crankshaft is way off. 

So when I made the mistake of not putting the correct orientation of the oil pump prong the first time will it offset the crankshaft right away?

I have not checked the crank position after I corrected oil pump and dizzy timing.

Your timing mark is the crankshaft position.  You installed the oil pump gear in the wrong position.  Best to take the oil pump back off and reinstall it and the distributor drive quill correctly.

I just noticed that the FSM never really says to have the timing mark at zero when installing the oil pump.  It must be assumed that things are done directly after installing the timing chain.  No wonder so many people have problems.  They left out the most important part, for people doing only the oil pump work.

image.png

7 minutes ago, madkaw said:

TDC COMPRESSION STROKE!!!!!!

Pull #1 plug and shove a vacuum plug that just fits the hole in there. Turn over motor till that sucker shoots across the room- you found compression stroke . Now line everything up

For visual verify isn't that when the first 2 lobes are up-ishy looking?