IGNORED

How To Replace Shifter Bushing in early 240Z

DannDZ

I need to replace the shifter bushing in my early 240Z, manufactured 8/70. I know that the very early Zs were different from the slightly later models. I suspect I have an early transmission, but I'll confirm that later.

What I am particularly interested in is the gaining access to the bushings. Is it necessary to remove the center console or can they be access from beneath the car? I think of taking out the console to be a real pain, so if I can avoid it, so much the better.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Not sure of any differences in bushing replacement between your 8/70 Z and my 4/71 Z. (Great way to word the start of a piece of advice ?).  I removed the center console (easy), the inner rubber shift boot, removed the shirt lever, and replaced bushings that are available at your local Datsun/Nissan dealer.  Easy job.

Dennis

31 minutes ago, psdenno said:

Not sure of any differences in bushing replacement between your 8/70 Z and my 4/71 Z. (Great way to word the start of a piece of advice ?).  I removed the center console (easy), the inner rubber shift boot, removed the shirt lever, and replaced bushings that are available at your local Datsun/Nissan dealer.  Easy job.

Dennis

Thanks for the reply. If I have to take out the center console, I've done it before. (And, I have some work to do on the heating/vent controls.) I see the process is very easy, but I didn't know that the bushings were still available from Nissan dealers!

After many years of "careful storage" I am getting mine ready to potentially sell next year. Just want to make it as desirable as possible. It's places like this forum and people like you that are going to be a great community of help.

-Dann-