IGNORED

1972 240Z Vintage Z Program Car up for Auction on BaT

lonetreesteve

2 hours ago, HS30-H said:

People still calling the 'Vintage Z Program'/'Z Store' project "...unique in automotive history..." and that "No other car manufacturer has ever undertaken anything even remotely like it."

Aston Martin all undertook similar activities (Aston Martin still do...), buying back old models, refurbishing/restoring them and then selling them on as 'factory restored' product with a warranty.
But getting facts wrong and exaggerating the significance of the program in the wider automotive field does none of us any good in the long term. Keep It Real.

Aston Martin only started doing it in the last 5 to 6 years, they never did it before that. Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story now. The DB4 Zagato Sanction 2 cars in the late 1980s/early 1990s were essentially 4 brand new cars with newly issued chassis numbers.

Edited by SpeedRoo
Formatting

HS30-H

So the VZ cars aren’t bad, they are ok. They just aren’t unique or particularly rare and everyone needs to understand that.

Very good points. Glad you spoke up so we know! Haha

30 minutes ago, SpeedRoo said:

Aston Martin only started doing it in the last 5 to 6 years, they never did it before that. Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story now. The DB4 Zagato Sanction 2 cars in the late 1980s/early 1990s were essentially 4 brand new cars with newly issued chassis numbers.

I'm not talking about the 'Sanction 2' cars. Not the same thing at all.

I'm talking about the active buying-in, in-house restoring, then selling-on as 'Factory Refurbished' cars (with a one year warranty) which Aston Martin Works Service were carrying out since at least the late 1970s, if not earlier. It was done because there was a demand for it, and the will to do it.

Five or six years? I've brought up the point here on this forum several times in the past, and have brought up the Aston Martin Works Service example (amongst others) in relation to the 'VZ' cars at least 14 years ago.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

I'm not talking about the 'Sanction 2' cars. Not the same thing at all.

I'm talking about the active buying-in, in-house restoring, then selling-on as 'Factory Refurbished' cars (with a one year warranty) which Aston Martin Works Service were carrying out since at least the late 1970s, if not earlier. It was done because there was a demand for it, and the will to do it.

Five or six years? I've brought up the point here on this forum several times in the past, and have brought up the Aston Martin Works Service example (amongst others) in relation to the 'VZ' cars at least 14 years ago.

You seem to be living in an alternate reality, Aston Martin never bought in cars and sold them as factory refurbished. It's only in the last five or six years it has happened as that is when the works service side of the operation became licensed to sell cars. Best to stick to what you know Alan rather than spouting mistruths about stuff you know nothing of. I speak from experience as the former Director of Service has been quite a good friend since the 1980's and provided me unlimited access to the records. A lot of the information is in the books I have written on Aston Martin.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

You seem to be living in an alternate reality, Aston Martin never bought in cars and sold them as factory refurbished. It's only in the last five or six years it has happened as that is when the works service side of the operation became licensed to sell cars. Best to stick to what you know Alan rather than spouting mistruths about stuff you know nothing of. I speak from experience as the former Director of Service has been quite a good friend since the 1980's and provided me unlimited access to the records. A lot of the information is in the books I have written on Aston Martin.

The last five or six years? So when I was posting about Aston Martin Works Service's past and continuing activities on this forum - with relation to the claim of the 'VZ' program being "unique" - more than ten years ago, I was predicting the future? I'll add that to my CV.

No, I was stating a fact. The "alternate reality" is the one where the 'VZ' program is "unique in automotive history". Pure fantasy or just more USA-bubble type introspection, you choose. It's the same as the 'conversation' on BaT where nobody is allowed to mention the 432 or 432-R, but mention of the Toyota 2000GT, Honda NSX and even Mazda Miata is just fine and dandy. Deluded.

Aston Martin Works Service - just the same as any other UK-based business - do not need any 'license' to sell cars. Especially what are - essentially, just like the 'VZ' program cars - refurbished used cars with their original identities intact. Some people here will no doubt believe you, but it simply isn't true. What 'license', and issued by whom? Nonsense. 

Noted that we appear to be on first name terms now. Presumptuous of you. Apparently you still call yourself 'Roo', as you did when you asked me to give you data on the 432R. If you had introduced yourself with a feasible and believable name I might have considered it. I think my spidey senses were right. 

• Like 1

As a manufacturer they did have a business license to sell vehicles to the public as a motor vehicle trader. At no time before 2014 did Aston Martin buy and refurbish cars to sell back to the public. They happily restored a car for customers though. I had a continuing conversation with the managing director about buying cars, restoring them and selling them off their own forecourt at Newport Pagnell which is what they have ended up doing, once they became a separate commercial entity from the factory. Have to say I would believe the MD on any Aston Martin matter before I would listen to your drivel again Alan.

Have been called Roo for over 20 years, many people know me by that name in various walks of life...they seem to think its feasible and believable. Had no trouble getting the data on the 432R I was looking for, many generous knowledgeable people were happy to share the information, just as I happily do with my Aston Martin knowledge. The only dubious character I have come across in the "Z" world is yourself.

Roo

As a manufacturer they did have a business license to sell vehicles to the public as a motor vehicle trader. At no time before 2014 did Aston Martin buy and refurbish cars to sell back to the public. They happily restored a car for customers though.

Not true. You can split the hairs any way you want about Aston Martin's activities but the fact is that they were selling bought-in (often through trade-ins) factory-refurbed cars long before 2014 and I cited this activity in relation to the "unique" VZ claim on this very forum more than ten years ago. I believe I gave a specific example of one such car too (I even took a test ride in one which a work colleague was considering for purchase). Is this the kind of "drivel" you are referring to?

I note you don't have anything to say about Bristol Cars or the other examples I cited. Maybe you're more motivated to prove me wrong than in proving that the 'VZ' program was "unique in automotive history"...?

Have been called Roo for over 20 years, many people know me by that name in various walks of life...they seem to think its feasible and believable. Had no trouble getting the data on the 432R I was looking for, many generous knowledgeable people were happy to share the information, just as I happily do with my Aston Martin knowledge. The only dubious character I have come across in the "Z" world is yourself.

A new member with no feedback, using a pseudonym, sends me a PM asking for a list of 432-R chassis numbers. My spidey senses tingle and I do not reply, considering it better to wait and see. Lo and behold another PM with a snotty retort to the effect that he'd got what he wanted elsewhere and thanks for nothing.

Turns out you were planning a 432-R 'replica', right? I'm sure a list of original 432-R chassis numbers would be very useful for that. What could possibly go wrong?  I think I was right to be dubious. Dubious is a good default position.

• Like 1