IGNORED

Lower steering shaft u-joint

munters

Is it possible to take the 240z lower steering shaft out of column without dismounting the column and steering rack? Engine mount interference?

I have to change the u-joint and did just find in another thread from CO it could go. but does it?

You have to take the shaft out.  It's just like changing the u-joint in your drive shaft.  The early joints are pressed fit with a retaining ring.  The later shafts are press fit and peened.  I found a Kawasaki u-joint that fit without any binding.

In an effort to get some more pertinent input, let me rephrase the question...

The rotating shaft that runs through the center of the steering column shaft for the 240's is made up of two portions. Let's call them upper and lower. The upper portion (where the steering wheel attaches) is held in place by a spring clip and cannot be removed without disassembling the column.

However, the lower portion (the portion that sticks out of the bottom of the steering column in the engine compartment) is not held place in by any means and if it weren't for the U-joint being bolted at the bottom, the lower portion could be pulled straight out of the bottom of the steering column.

Question is.... Is there room to pull that lower portion of the steering shaft out while the steering column is mounted in place, or must one go through the trouble of taking the entire steering column out of the car first? Will that lower shaft clear everything in the engine compartment (like the engine mounts, etc) or will it be impossible to get it out?

10 minutes ago, munters said:

I have always difficulty to express myself in english.

Glad to help. I thought that might be part of it.

So, you could always just give it a try and see if you can get it out. If not, you haven't wasted any work... You'd still have to disconnect that U-joint anyway to get the column out.

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Question is.... Is there room to pull that lower portion of the steering shaft out while the steering column is mounted in place, or must one go through the trouble of taking the entire steering column out of the car first? Will that lower shaft clear everything in the engine compartment (like the engine mounts, etc) or will it be impossible to get it out?

I do not think it would clear the fender/frame rail mounted in the stock position.  The lower portion of upper shaft is fairly long, the splines join with the upper part of the column at about the mounting point for the column.  If you undo the column mounts under the dash and loosen the firewall mounting bolts you may be able to move it enough to clear the fender/frame rail. 

If I can get some time tomorrow I will reinstall the steering column and see if the lower column shaft will clear. My car is getting paint work done now and it is all apart so this should only take a few minutes to see if it will come out.

OK, and the answer is-------NO, the lower column can not be removed without removing the column. 

If you remove the mounting bolts at the firewall and column mount you can swing the column to the left about 4" the lower shaft will clear and can be pulled out.  If you wanted to avoid messing with the wiring it could be an option. Also I do not have an engine in place so there may be problems with the exhaust, etc.

Probably easier to just bite the bullet and pull it all out.