IGNORED

Head Gasket leak?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

So it seems that whatever was going on that made the chemical change color has been fixed, right?

Did you find a smoking gun as to what was going on? Did you do anything other than replace the head gasket?

color change seems to be fixed, I did nothing between when it was changing to now. Never found a smoking gun.

orig check out of the engine before any work showed color change repeatable.

replaced HG used orig N42 head (the one on the bench), still color changed repeatable. The orig HG looked fine, it looked OE, used a felpro. I did what I consider a good job of cleaning the block deck and the head before reinstalling with the new gasket. No smoking gun.

replaced HG AND head (to the MN47) still color changed on several tries days apart, then tried some more after a few more days, no more color change, repeatable.

It bothers me since I have no event between color change and no color change, hence my gift horse comment in the video. I would of course much preferred something I could attribute the no color change to directly.

Perhaps it would be prudent to try it a few more times before I tear down the setup, just to confirm the no color change. This video is pretty short but the stat was def open and in the previous no color change test runs the engine had been running for at least 20 min maybe longer (fully warmed up).

Edited by Dave WM

Ok one thing I forgot, I did have some exhaust manifold leakage, and some valve cover gasket leakage (oil dripping on manifold). I tightened up the exhaust manifold stud nuts and replaced the valve cover with a new OE gasket. Zero leaks from either of those now. I failed to mention as I could not see how that could effect a gas in coolant test. It did happen between the bad and good results, So it was an event, just something I don't see as a cause of the effect.