IGNORED

Autocross Chest Strap

TomoHawk

In my autocross 101 DVD the host mentioned using a chest strap to help your upper body stay fixed when going through the course, but there was no mention about how the chest strap is designed.  I assumed it was just a length of wide belting with a buckle or clip, or some wide Velcro with a D-ring.  You put it around the seat and across your chest, then tighten it.

Has anyone had one or have some information I can read?  The only thing I have trouble with is keeping the belt in place around the back of the seat, unless you install something up hold the trap up, like some D -rings.

Made a chest belt out of a 3'' canvas strap back in 91, burned the ends to keep the fabric from coming apart. Fastened Velcro strips on the ends, worked quite well until I installed a 5 point cam lock in 94 when Hp increased to 218. Didn't move a bit in stock seat.

Mine didn't slip, most of the runs were 45+ seconds, butt still moved with normal seat belts. One strip of duct tape on the seat back should hold it up if it does slip. There's a set for $22.88, google cheap racing seat belts. I installed mine in 94, still use it. 

the duct tape should work with vinyl seat covers, but mine are cloth, so I will have to think of something else.  Maybe I can add a sort of loop with some dog-rings, or just sew something on.

See you at Mid Ohio June 21-23

17 minutes ago, TomoHawk said:

the duct tape should work with vinyl seat covers, but mine are cloth, so I will have to think of something else.  Maybe I can add a sort of loop with some dog-rings, or just sew something on.

See you at Mid Ohio June 21-23

Consider using adhesive backed Velcro strips on the cloth seat back and belt.  Fairly easy to remove when not needed and the Velcro should hold the belt tight.

Dennis

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2019 at 7:05 AM, grannyknot said:

This will do the trick,

1024px-Duct-tape.jpg

The duct tape would be fine if tyou had vinyl seats, but my seats are cloth, so I would need something that will not tear or mar  the fabric or fall off.

Edited by TomoHawk

I use aftermarket (JY) seats that are recovered, and have foam added for bolstering, but it's not enough when you go to autocross or any other performance-type event.

That's the problem. to attach something to the back of a cloth seat that doesn't ruin the custom work, looks like it belongs, or won't fall off if you accidentally tug on it, and has a slot to put the strap through or in.

BTW - this is also called a Torso Strap.  G-Force sells them, and it's just a strap made from Nylon webbing with a big plastic pinch clip.  They just sell them, and don't tell you how it's used or installed.

image.png

Edited by TomoHawk

It looks like that would need to strap around the backside of the seat to be effective. Have you considered adding a pad in the seat made of those toolbox liners or kitchen drawer liners? 

https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-nonslip-drawer-liner-65565.html That might help your torso out a bit. 

Planning on going racing on Sunday maybe I’ll give it a try I have some left overs.