IGNORED

Deal? Or No Deal?

ConVerTT

Considering the difficulties others have reported in accurately duplicating the horizontal 'crease' in the outer panel, these will probably same a lot of hours in final fitting.  Are you planning to use them in the current project or will you save them for something else down the road?

The photos of these pieces expose some details that are normally hidden from view and rarely seen in restoration photos.  For example, what is the purpose of the tacked on stamping(s) located at the peak of the wheel arch on the driver-side panel?

72B059AB-7466-44A0-8A18-BD9A4ADE6ECA.jpeg

Interesting, too, that Nissan went to the expense of painting that circular black disc on the inside of the panel so the body colour wouldn't peek through the vent holes in the plastic trim panel.  I guess they thought that looked cheap.

Edited by Namerow

9 minutes ago, Namerow said:

Considering the difficulties others have reported in accurately duplicating the horizontal 'crease' in the outer panel, these will probably same a lot of hours in final fitting.  Are you planning to use them in the current project or will you save them for something else down the road?

The photos of these pieces expose some details that are normally hidden from view and rarely seen in restoration photos.  For example, what is the purpose of the tacked on stamping(s) located at the peak of the wheel arch on the driver-side panel?

72B059AB-7466-44A0-8A18-BD9A4ADE6ECA.jpeg

These will be used to fix our 1970 240z (pic above) when the time comes....

I agree that this section offers an interesting view.  I think the metal at the top of the inner wheelhouse is part of the base of the rear strut tower.  It looks like they cut straight through about 4 inches into the inner wheel house.  Another interesting view is the cut right down the middle of the seat belt retractor section down by the dogleg.

Congrats! A really nice acquisition ConVerTT! :victorious:

Completely unrelated to the nice quarters----Hard to tell for sure from the photo but, I am totally amazed that the speaker appears to be intact and undamaged throughout all of the cutting and transporting encountered in getting them to you. Pretty fragile item that is!

Let me know if the speaker doesn't fit into your future plans----I'm a sticker for original stock parts. 

10 hours ago, Zup said:

Congrats! A really nice acquisition ConVerTT! :victorious:

Completely unrelated to the nice quarters----Hard to tell for sure from the photo but, I am totally amazed that the speaker appears to be intact and undamaged throughout all of the cutting and transporting encountered in getting them to you. Pretty fragile item that is!

Let me know if the speaker doesn't fit into your future plans----I'm a sticker for original stock parts. 

Thanks !  Yes speakers are both there.  I am not sure if they work, but you are welcome to them ...

12 hours ago, ConVerTT said:

Thanks !  Yes speakers are both there.  I am not sure if they work, but you are welcome to them ...

Zup is away on a business trip this week,  he returns Friday.   Put the speaker aside & I am sure he will make arrangements with you.

Nice car.  However, given that it's been repainted and refreshed (i.e. it's not 100% original), it will be interesting to see whether the bidding goes much higher than the current $60K.  It's my impression that the extreme ($100K +) values are reserved for #1 condition, 100% original cars.

2 hours ago, Namerow said:

Nice car.  However, given that it's been repainted and refreshed (i.e. it's not 100% original), it will be interesting to see whether the bidding goes much higher than the current $60K.  It's my impression that the extreme ($100K +) values are reserved for #1 condition, 100% original cars.

Agreed- and the refresh is decent but not excellent so that seems really strong at 60...

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 12:24 PM, ConVerTT said:

Agreed- and the refresh is decent but not excellent so that seems really strong at 60...

I think the Green 70 is pretty far beyond “refreshed”. Full body rotisserie restoration with only a few items not exactly period correct. Yes, it is a 20 year old restoration.. but it must have been done fairly well as it has held up well. Relatively low VIN and matching numbers. It would be a reasonable buy at $65K today. Especially considering that any decent presentable Series I will fetch $20K+ needing a full refresh or restoration. The refreshed, non-matching number White 72 just sold for $40K with its original engine included in the sale. 

Agree that when you get to $100K - you have to have something very special. But they aren't being sent to auctions yet.