IGNORED

Looking for intake manifold thermostat

Zaspen

I'm in the process of converting my 72 240 from a 4 barrel holley back to SUs.  I've read numerous articles on the pros and cons of heating the manifold and I think since I live in New Hampshire where every morning is cold I want to heat them.  Ideally I would have the manifold heater thermostat that was used on the later 72 models and beyond to avoid the potential issues with continually heating them.  Anybody know where I can get a thermostat and the associated piping?  I'd like to think I could get an old one to work again with some TLC.  I found a part number in a different forum for a possible alternate but it looks like it is no longer available.  Any thoughts / ideas are appreciated!

I'm sorry to say, remember, my thermostat was donated to the cause. We were wondering what the innards looked like and i took one apart. The connecting pipe for the two intakes is still on mine. As I recall those SOBs wont come loose. I'm getting some folks moved in a rental and will be going to and fro my storage building so I'm still gonna be looking for your parts. Will update asap. Cliff 

Edited by siteunseen

You may want to consider eliminating the manifold heater if the parts are unobtainium. The earlier 240s didn't have it and I drove a 71 daily, summer and winter, for a couple of decades, I doubt that you need it. Many later 240 owners have eliminated it on the theory that it may add to fuel percolation, heat soak or vapor lock problem.

• Like 1

There was a thread about a replacement thermostat several years, maybe quite a few years back.  It was on this site or it could have been another popular early Z site, I think. I do not have a link to that thread that I can find.  They were discussing a replacement thermostat that had the correct temperature range and would mount inline in the line that goes around the rear of the engine.   Good luck in you search.