IGNORED

Odd Engine Bay ID Tag

DR280z

4 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Zeddsaver doesn't do floor pans, you're thinking of ZeddFindings! Opposite sides of the country....

This just reinforces the conversation @Patcon  and I were having.... I guess I'm on the downhill side of the bell-curve...

• Confused 1

I like the scanning and printing idea. I looked at the zedd tags and they dont look quite the same as the originals. I think I would be better off just leaving it as is. If I unscrew the plate and mess with it, it looks more like it was tampered with. 

8 minutes ago, DR280z said:

I like the scanning and printing idea. I looked at the zedd tags and they dont look quite the same as the originals. I think I would be better off just leaving it as is. If I unscrew the plate and mess with it, it looks more like it was tampered with. 

Well, I just went to my garage and took a picture of my ID plate, and honestly, $57+shipping is cheaper than trying to re-create the wheel.

I think Zeddsaver nailed it.

20190308_181856.jpg

77_78_280z_ID_plate_engine_bay_large.jpg

23 minutes ago, DR280z said:

Completely your choice. 

12 minutes ago, wal280z said:

Well, I just went to my garage and took a picture of my ID plate, and honestly, $57+shipping is cheaper than trying to re-create the wheel.

I think Zeddsaver nailed it.

I think they look really good as well. I looked through a lot of his decals and think whom ever is doing the work (him or someone else) does a fine job. For plates and decals you cant get elsewhere these look like a good option.

Just now, Patcon said:

I remove all of these from my cars when I restore them and then remount them when the paint is done. This one is mounted with 4 screws so pretty easy to make it right.

I do this too. On a lot of the parts cars I have picked up I find these painted over even ground on, rusted, and clean. with just 4 screws it is not like you are altering something like the door jam, which has rivets.

Some of my collection showing various stages of condition. I save them from parts cars, and any I find at junk yards. Like dog tags of the fallen. I never understood why people wouldn't take them off before painting or restoring an engine bay. To each their own I suppose. 

tags.jpeg

• Like 2

Many moons ago (waving hand like "these are not the droids you're looking for"), I worked for a company who made equipment that featured a black on silver faceplate similar in concept to the VIN tags. They were some sort of black coating on a thin aluminum substrate and the black coating was some sort of photo-resist active material.

You would lay a piece of film artwork (black and clear) over the substrate and then run the pair through a box which housed bright light of some sort. I don't know if it was UV or what, but fading memory says the light was greenish, not purplish. And then after the light exposure, you would wash the substrate in some chemical and parts of the black coating would come off. I don't remember if the parts exposed to the light came off or if the parts exposed to the light were "set", but clearly it was photo-sensitive in some sort.

Anyway, when you were done, you had a black on silver rendition of the artwork you laid over the original all black substrate.

I can't remember the trade name of the equipment, but I believe it was relatively common back then. It's probably outlawed at this point due to health risks from the chemicals and the light, but I used it a lot "back in the day".

I wish I could remember the name of that system... Not that I want one, just that it bugs me that I can't remember the name!     :unsure:

• Like 1