IGNORED

Odd Engine Bay ID Tag

DR280z

My 280z has an engine bay id tag that I have never seen in any other 1978. The tag has the vin# of the car stamped into it and nothing else. The dash vin #, firewall and door jam all match. Late 78's did not have the engine #'s on the engine bay tag but again, never have seen one that just has the vin stamped on it and nothing else. Anybody know why this car has this?

280z engine bay tag.jpg

The car was originally white. I just painted it light metallic blue and have not gotten to painting the engine bay. The vin on the engine tag and the vin on the firewall, dash and door jam all match up. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the black writing on the tags is a painted on stencil. Aggressive cleaning with harsh a substance can remove all the black paint leaving just the stamped numbers. 

Just a possibility. I learned this when trying to clean some overspray off of one, and found the cleaner I was using was starting to take the writing off as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terrapin Z said:

I'm pretty sure the black writing on the tags is a painted on stencil. Aggressive cleaning with harsh a substance can remove all the black paint leaving just the stamped numbers. 

Just a possibility. I learned this when trying to clean some overspray off of one, and found the cleaner I was using was starting to take the writing off as well. 

I agree with Terrapin Z - someone used some aggressive cleaning techniques and removed the printed image.

Similar process as a stencil - but screen printed.

I *thought* you could get reproduction plates from zcarsource and/or Banzai, but both offer 240 plates while Banzai also offers a plate for the 260.

So, ya got a couple options:

a)   Live with it, as it is (or tell a fisherman's story of how your ID plate is custom - note, this only works with someone that hasn't seen a Z)

b)   see if Banzai will pursue a reproduction tag for the 280's (you might have to pay for the up front costs)

c)   scan a good ID plate, and reprint that image onto your tag by:

using a clear film as a sticker

print directly on the plate using a suitable 3D printer and media

screen-print it on (see option b)

Probably another option, but I can't think of one now

21 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Zeddsaver has 280 engine bay tags...

Thanks Mark - I forgot about him - I keep him in mind for floor pans.

19 minutes ago, Terrapin Z said:

Like Wheee! says.......

Sure enough they show one for the 77-78 280Z for $59.00.

Here is the link : https://www.zeddsaver.com/collections/datsun-z-car-id-plates

I think they are in Canada but also list an address in Blaine.

Thanks for the link!

I still like my idea of using a 3D printer..... not that I need it for THIS application, but.......

Trying out the 3D printing would be interesting for some things. I've seen some things that look pretty good and other that look horrible.

I guess like anything, it depends on how good your equipment is. Buy a bargain cheepo printer and you get mediocre pieces....likewise an expensive nice printer will yield better quality. 

It is sad he charges USD for CN purchases. While these plates and some of the other stickers are reasonable. I think a lot of his pricing is a bit on the high side. 

14 minutes ago, wal280z said:

Thanks Mark - I forgot about him - I keep him in mind for floor pans.

Thanks for the link!

I still like my idea of using a 3D printer..... not that I need it for THIS application, but.......

Zeddsaver doesn't do floor pans, you're thinking of ZeddFindings! Opposite sides of the country....

Edited by wheee!
  • Like 1