IGNORED

Hemmings acknowledges Z 50th

NVZEE

Nice article.

Hey Zup,   I'll provide the enclosed trailer,  you supply the silver 73 ....

The 2019 Hemmings Motor News Concours d’Elegance, taking place September 13-15 in Lake George, New York, will feature a class dedicated to the 1970-’73 240Z, 1974 260Z, 1975-’78 280Z, and 1979-’83 280ZX. We’re still actively seeking entries in the Datsun Z class, so if you’ve got a stock, concours-quality example and can attend, please contact either Kurt Ernst (kernst@hemmings.com) or Matthew Litwin (mlitwin@hemmings.com).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S30Driver said:

Sounds a bit rich for an Arkie hick., but I've got a pretty nice Zilver Z and I know you've got the trailer! LOL

It was a nice article. Some things said could be debated.

The comments section at the bottom floored me when a fella had the audacity to inject this..........

Rusty Sedlack wrote:

"I think the roots of the 240Z beg further investigation. While a teenager working to discover his future I was befriended by Industrial Designer D*ck Avery, then penning lines for many successful Chris Craft boats. His career started at Ford Motor Company where he was frustrated by working with 50 or so other designers all working on taillights or sun visors. He told me it was he who penned the lines of the 240 Z while at Ford. Ford decided it had no room in it’s line-up for such a vehicle.
Thus, the design was sold to Datsun. This story I find easy to believe as Mr. Avery was just one of those people who not only was extremely talented but honest, very helping and forthright. Maybe someone in the correct circles could check this out?"

Rusty is obviously too trusty with D*ck's bull*hit!

p.s. If needed, here is an "i" and an "s" to fill in the * censorship blanks where appropriate.

Where's George Carlin when you need him--------------------

Edited by Zup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zup said:

Sounds a bit rich for an Arkie hick., but I've got a pretty nice Zilver Z and I know you've got the trailer! LOL

It was a nice article. Some things said could be debated.

The comments section at the bottom floored me when a fella had the audacity to inject this..........

Rusty Sedlack wrote:

"I think the roots of the 240Z beg further investigation. While a teenager working to discover his future I was befriended by Industrial Designer D*ck Avery, then penning lines for many successful Chris Craft boats. His career started at Ford Motor Company where he was frustrated by working with 50 or so other designers all working on taillights or sun visors. He told me it was he who penned the lines of the 240 Z while at Ford. Ford decided it had no room in it’s line-up for such a vehicle.
Thus, the design was sold to Datsun. This story I find easy to believe as Mr. Avery was just one of those people who not only was extremely talented but honest, very helping and forthright. Maybe someone in the correct circles could check this out?"

Rusty is obviously too trusty with D*ck's bull*hit!

p.s. If needed, here is an "i" and an "s" to fill in the * censorship blanks where appropriate.

Where's George Carlin when you need him--------------------

Who needs George Carlin when we there's plenty of comedy on zhome.com (try to stifle your giggles when you read "Christ Craft" instead of 'Chris-Craft':

http://zhome.com/History/Ford/Ford.htm

Who needs enemies when the Z's advocates are so ready to undermine it and the people who were responsible for creating it?

There's plenty of other D!ck Avery-related bullshine on the 'net if you are motivated to seek it out. Flat Earth Society stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From the Hemmings article:

In October 1969, Datsun debuted a GT coupe at the Tokyo Motor Show ...

From Carl Beck in the comments section:

The DATSUN 240Z made its debut at its International Introduction 22 Oct. 1969, in New York, NY. Then put on public display in L.A. California two days later. By the time the Tokyo Motor Show opened to the public two weeks later, the DATSUN 240Z was old news to America, having been covered extensively by the US Press. As a matter of fact the US Press coverage from Japan hardly mentioned the Z Car. (NY Times/L.A. Times etc).

Some relevant dates:

*October 18th 1969 - First 'Press Preview' event held at Nissan's Ginza, Tokyo HQ showroom to introduce the S30-series Z range to the invited press.

*October 24th 1969 - Start of the Tokyo Motor Show, where the S30-series Z range was introduced to the general public for the first time. More than 1.5 million members of the public visited the show over the next two weeks.

*November 5th 1969 - First 'Test Drive' day, for the Japanese press to actually get hold of the cars and drive them. The results were seen in many of the November and December 1969, and January 1970 Japanese weeklies and monthlies.

So Nissan's 'Press Preview' in Japan happened two calendar days before this "International Introduction" to the Press at the Pierre Hotel in New York on 24th October, and the Tokyo Motor Show opened to the general public two calendar days (less the 14 hours time difference) after that.

Where does the "two weeks later" come from?

Both 'Press' and 'Public' debuts of the new S30-series Z range - which included the 'Datsun 240Z' - took place in Japan.

• Like 2