lonetreesteve

Bought 2 New Datsun 240Z/Fairlady Z Walnut Shift Knobs

My second 240Z walnut shift knob arrived today and it is beautiful!  This is the second shift knob that I have purchased this month, both from the same seller on eBay. The first one was a 5-speed shift knob and I liked it so much that I ordered a second one, a 4-speed walnut shift knob. Both shift knobs are for my two '71 240Z projects. They are the same size and shape as the original 240Z wood shift knobs, but are a much better quality. Max is great to work with and I highly recommend him and his high-quality walnut shift knobs. I took some pictures of the 2 new knobs along with my original, badly-faded and peeling plastic chrome ring on the bottom shift knob. Here's the eBay link if you are interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-1970-78-reproduction-4-or-5-Speed-Shift-Knob-Walnut/132304718542?hash=item1ecdf9cace:g:dn4AAOSwHPNbFAqj:rk:4:pf:0

DSC09990.JPG

DSC09988.JPG

DSC09986.JPG

Edited by lonetreesteve
    • Like 2

That reminds me, I need to buy a 5-speed knob for the 5-speed trans I have waiting to go into my Z.  Thanks for posting your comments, Steve!

• Like 1

Nice. And cheap too! I've made a number of shift knobs to date, and I wouldn't sell them at that price.

Of course, mine are better.   LOL

Those ebay knobs look OK from a distance, but the shift map is the stumbling block. Well worth the money though if you don't need something closer to original!

11 hours ago, SoCalJim said:

That reminds me, I need to buy a 5-speed knob for the 5-speed trans I have waiting to go into my Z.  Thanks for posting your comments, Steve!

You're welcome, Jim!   The pictures really don't do the new shift knobs justice.  Captain Obvious mentioned the shift map, comparing the shift map of the original knob in a couple of the pictures to reproduction shift maps, but it's no big deal, it's close enough for me and the knob itself is much better quality then the original.

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Those ebay knobs look OK from a distance, but the shift map is the stumbling block.

I agree with you on the shift map.  Bought one and was disappointed, so I ended up re-selling it for a bit of a loss.  I ended up buying an NOS one for almost 3 times the price, which looked absolutely gorgeous.  But then, the problem I had is that it looked so nice that I didn't want to touch it and cause any wear.  Had to shift by just using the stick. 😕 Oh well

2 hours ago, motorman7 said:

I agree with you on the shift map.  Bought one and was disappointed, so I ended up re-selling it for a bit of a loss.  I ended up buying an NOS one for almost 3 times the price, which looked absolutely gorgeous.  But then, the problem I had is that it looked so nice that I didn't want to touch it and cause any wear.  Had to shift by just using the stick. 😕 Oh well

I guess you should have kept the reproduction one that you sold with the slightly-off shift map. Your NOS shift knob is sitting in a box and now you have to shift gears with no shift knob at all. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, lonetreesteve said:

I guess you should have kept the reproduction one that you sold with the slightly-off shift map. Your NOS shift knob is sitting in a box and now you have to shift gears with no shift knob at all. 

Your right, I should have kept it and left it on the car.  Unfortunately, I sold the car late last year and now the beautiful NOS knob is gone. ☹️

• Sad 1

Anyone know how to remove the chromed plastic ring from an old knob without breaking it? I have a spare and want to refurb it.

There replacement Nissan ones aren't the same shape as the originals.

I've not had good luck getting the plastic chromed mount out. I had one original knob where the glue joint failed and that one was easy, but if you can't simply knock it out easy, then I don't have any suggestions.

I've not been able to salvage both the plastic and the wood on the knobs and one or the other had to be sacrificed to save the other. Here's one where I saved the plastic:
    P1060838.JPG

P1060842.JPG

P1060843.JPG

Sorry... That's all I got.

• Like 1

great pics and info. That's not very reassuring to save parts. I'm going to try to press out the plastic. I also am planning on using it as a template to make a replacement out of aluminum or stainless. 

Edited by SurferD

That looks amazing. How'd you measure the contour?

Also I was thinking of making the OD a little smaller and threading it.

@Captain Obvious i still have my old skateboard deck cut into pieces and glued in stacks in attempt to make something like this, i dont have access to a lathe, would you be able to turn them for me? Would pay you for the trouble. 015_Peralta.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&w=11I just like the way the wood looks, but like the shape of the OEM Z ones more.

13 hours ago, SurferD said:

That looks amazing. How'd you measure the contour?

I just do them by eye and check them with calipers. "Custom Hand Crafted"   LOL 

And, like so many of my projects, that's why it's hard to charge what they're really worth. If someone is looking for a concourse quality repro that even at relatively close examination is indistinguishable from a stock original, then I have painstakingly made a couple of those. But there's no way I could ever make any money doing it. I just don't think pockets are that deep! Haha!!

11 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

i still have my old skateboard deck cut into pieces and glued in stacks in attempt to make something like this, i dont have access to a lathe, would you be able to turn them for me?

Possibly... Just turning the wood part?

Send me a PM and we can chat.

17 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

@Captain Obvious i still have my old skateboard deck cut into pieces and glued in stacks in attempt to make something like this, i dont have access to a lathe, would you be able to turn them for me? Would pay you for the trouble. 015_Peralta.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&w=11I just like the way the wood looks, but like the shape of the OEM Z ones more.

There's a multi-colored baseball bat on letgo for $35 that would be cool looking.  Probably get a bunch of shift knobs out of it?

https://gb.letgo.com/en/i/rawlings-multi-colored-baseball-bat_7c62a427-ff6c-47ae-83cd-c3180a35b7f2

Image result for Rawlings Multi Colored Baseball Bat

Does anyone have the diameter of the shift map insert? This is something I may be able to reproduce 

22 hours ago, siteunseen said:

There's a multi-colored baseball bat on letgo for $35 that would be cool looking.  Probably get a bunch of shift knobs out of it?

https://gb.letgo.com/en/i/rawlings-multi-colored-baseball-bat_7c62a427-ff6c-47ae-83cd-c3180a35b7f2

site, how am i going to shift with a baseball bat shifter 😛

site, how am i going to shift with a baseball bat shifter

Like a boss...!
    • Like 1

45 minutes ago, heyitsrama said:

site, how am i going to shift with a baseball bat shifter 😛

Very carefully. If you miss you'll have cracks on the front of the dash as well as the top.😁

On 3/2/2019 at 7:41 AM, Captain Obvious said:

It's about an inch diameter. Are you a mold maker?

I'm a Prototype Engineer and have access to some 3d printers and machining tools. Would be a pretty easy part to make with the 3d lettering on the shift map.

• Like 1