IGNORED

Bought 2 New Datsun 240Z/Fairlady Z Walnut Shift Knobs

lonetreesteve

My second 240Z walnut shift knob arrived today and it is beautiful!  This is the second shift knob that I have purchased this month, both from the same seller on eBay. The first one was a 5-speed shift knob and I liked it so much that I ordered a second one, a 4-speed walnut shift knob. Both shift knobs are for my two '71 240Z projects. They are the same size and shape as the original 240Z wood shift knobs, but are a much better quality. Max is great to work with and I highly recommend him and his high-quality walnut shift knobs. I took some pictures of the 2 new knobs along with my original, badly-faded and peeling plastic chrome ring on the bottom shift knob. Here's the eBay link if you are interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-1970-78-reproduction-4-or-5-Speed-Shift-Knob-Walnut/132304718542?hash=item1ecdf9cace:g:dn4AAOSwHPNbFAqj:rk:4:pf:0

DSC09990.JPG

DSC09988.JPG

DSC09986.JPG

Edited by lonetreesteve
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, SoCalJim said:

That reminds me, I need to buy a 5-speed knob for the 5-speed trans I have waiting to go into my Z.  Thanks for posting your comments, Steve!

You're welcome, Jim!   The pictures really don't do the new shift knobs justice.  Captain Obvious mentioned the shift map, comparing the shift map of the original knob in a couple of the pictures to reproduction shift maps, but it's no big deal, it's close enough for me and the knob itself is much better quality then the original.

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Those ebay knobs look OK from a distance, but the shift map is the stumbling block.

I agree with you on the shift map.  Bought one and was disappointed, so I ended up re-selling it for a bit of a loss.  I ended up buying an NOS one for almost 3 times the price, which looked absolutely gorgeous.  But then, the problem I had is that it looked so nice that I didn't want to touch it and cause any wear.  Had to shift by just using the stick. ? Oh well

2 hours ago, motorman7 said:

I agree with you on the shift map.  Bought one and was disappointed, so I ended up re-selling it for a bit of a loss.  I ended up buying an NOS one for almost 3 times the price, which looked absolutely gorgeous.  But then, the problem I had is that it looked so nice that I didn't want to touch it and cause any wear.  Had to shift by just using the stick. ? Oh well

I guess you should have kept the reproduction one that you sold with the slightly-off shift map. Your NOS shift knob is sitting in a box and now you have to shift gears with no shift knob at all. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, lonetreesteve said:

I guess you should have kept the reproduction one that you sold with the slightly-off shift map. Your NOS shift knob is sitting in a box and now you have to shift gears with no shift knob at all. 

Your right, I should have kept it and left it on the car.  Unfortunately, I sold the car late last year and now the beautiful NOS knob is gone. ☹️

• Sad 1

I've not had good luck getting the plastic chromed mount out. I had one original knob where the glue joint failed and that one was easy, but if you can't simply knock it out easy, then I don't have any suggestions.

I've not been able to salvage both the plastic and the wood on the knobs and one or the other had to be sacrificed to save the other. Here's one where I saved the plastic:
P1060838.JPG

P1060842.JPG

P1060843.JPG

Sorry... That's all I got.

• Like 1

great pics and info. That's not very reassuring to save parts. I'm going to try to press out the plastic. I also am planning on using it as a template to make a replacement out of aluminum or stainless. 

Edited by SurferD