IGNORED

Steering Rack: rebuild or replace?

loudoun

I need to either rebuild or replace the steering rack in a late 70 build Series 1 car.  I have a 2/71 parts car that I can rob the rack from to rebuild without putting mine out of commission.  However, is there an online tutorial for this and a rebuild kit, or is it recommended that I find a replacement rebuilt/new rack?  Thanks in advance.

I am relatively certain that Captain Obvious will see this and direct you to the appropriate thread discussing his teardown and refurbishment of the steering rack.  He is a master knower of all things and his content is voluminous. 

I have done it. The bearing is available and the grease seal. The bushing are the issue. They are unique. A machine shop or a talented home fabricator can make them. Look in my build thread where I rebuilt the rack and CO has a thread on it too.

• Like 1

So much pressure to perform!!!

Here's my steering rack thread. The original pics are dead because Photobucket sucks, but the important ones have been reloaded later on in the thread:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/48621-steering-rack-disassembly-and-refurb/

If there's any other pic missing that you want to see, let me know and I'll see if I can reload it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1