IGNORED

KONI Sports for Classic Z's

Don't overlook that application specific gland nuts are supplied with the replacement shocks, of all brands.  The original Nissan gland nuts were meant to thread all the way down in to the strut tube and seal against the tube and the shaft to keep the oil in.  The replacement gland nuts are meant to center and clamp the new self-contained shock in to the strut tube.  The strut tubes themselves were not manufactured to accept a shock seating against the bottom where the welds are.  In a way it's just blind luck that so many of them have fit well.  Not a surprise that some finessing is needed in certain cases.

It's a different problem.

I have the same issue like av8ferg described here:

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/61542-koni-sports-for-classic-zs/?page=12#comment-628560

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/61542-koni-sports-for-classic-zs/?page=12#comment-628872

I am already in contact with MSA - I will disassemble everything tomorrow and get measurements so that we can find out if either the thread on the strut or the gland nut are out of spec.

• 3 weeks later...

Just FYI.
I had two wrong gland nuts in the package. M52 was required, but they were only M51. Without the damper centering the gland nut, it was a very loose fit and the nut popped out at around 50Nm.
The outer diameter of the gland nuts should be around 51.80mm to work correctly.

• Like 1