IGNORED

240z 1970 for sale

Snaponfitz

Yeah, maybe I'm not up to date on Z values, but I don't see a $20k car there. It looks like it needs a total restoration. $10k is way more in line with what I'd expect it to go for.

Also, in addition to the rust in the firewall, it looks like it has rust on the inside of the tail panel, just below where the tail lights mount, where the tail panel meets the trunk floor. Strange place to rust, don't think I've seen that before.

Edited by rturbo 930
  • Like 3

The headlight buckets are good the passenger side one was broken but has been re fiberglassed there is no rust under the cowl panel I will post a pic of it and under the passsnger fender there’s zero rust. I’m not trying to convince anyone of the condition of the car as stated in my first post this is a great starting point for a restoration the majority of the minor rust ie: rear panel under taillights isn’t going to require anything other then sandblasting primer and paint. The real value in this car is that it is a series 1 car that has not been chopped up and modified that was equipped with a/c electric antenna has the factory am radio etc. of course it’s been hit in the front at some point and of course there’s some rust damage to frame rails but all in all this is a great starting point for a restoration and from what I’ve seen for sale most of these cars have been butchered ie 5 speed trans etc. Datsun did not offer a 5 speed in 1970. If I don’t sell the car I will have a unique peice of history that will only increase in value as time goes by. It is the 3266 of 17005 built with only 16215  shipped to the USA  according to Nissan motors production numbers from 1970 this is a very rare car in my opinion.   I’m sure if I was able to look at any of your cars I could point out lots of flaws as well. Let’s keep in mind this car was manufactured in April of 1969 technology was crude and in its infancy back then. If I had known I’d have to read all these negative and incorrect comments about the car I wouldn’t have posted it on this forum.  The rust on passenger side firewall is where the factory knockout is to make it a right hand steered car which would have made it an HRS not an HLS. If anyone is interested in the car text me or call.  

9 hours ago, M3333hp said:

from the photos that have been posted so far I have not seen "tell tale signs of a lot of rust evenly distributed all over the car". That seems to me to be a pretty broad / negative statement. 

Well maybe that's because you don't know what to look for, it also is not a broad statement it is a very specific statement.  Anyone that has actually worked on repairing rust knows that that dime sized spot of rust that has popped through from inside is in fact 4-5" in dia. if not larger.  Lets start on the deck lid that you think is perfect,  that 3" piece of visible rust actually goes from the D/S fender to the middle of the deck lid as seen by the swelling between the spotwelds and that means almost certainly the vertical support for the deck lid will need repair as well.

9DEFBD7D-A90A-429D-A10C-2E2A3899F4C0.thumb.jpeg.42dd1b651af271cbc4ee8e21020cb832.jpeg

This common area of rust started on the inside behind the show panel and has eaten its way through to the outside all the way across the back of the car and I can tell you from experience that is a difficult, expensive repair.

9CA63444-3E6C-4CC4-A928-DDD0716ED977.thumb.jpeg.24941f017c2f372e90020b7ee3c005c5.jpeg95F264E7-704B-49AE-B0A9-5EB8F1FEBC88.thumb.jpeg.3b4465b91b089bfa3e9b8d1b733edca3.jpeg4B9D2F6A-CF52-4689-A032-05193A7FD98F.thumb.jpeg.704abccc2afb1d70df05888b9d69af33.jpegThe rust in this area around the gas filler door will be much larger than it appears to be and will require the spot welds to be drilled out and the box behind removed then the damaged area will need to be cut out and replaced with a custom fabricated piece of 20ga sheet with the exact compound curves, body line crease and bead rolled lip the gas door nests into.

5121FA22-D241-4CF8-BF48-DD5164795122.thumb.jpeg.441a1152f68fdd1d58a9b4bcde85ddaf.jpegAnd here, replacing the visible damage on the firewall is the least of your problems, the fresh air chimney and the bottom of the chamber behind the firewall will need extensive repair first before the firewall replacement even begins.

17EAC139-B59C-4FFE-B0FA-1919AD87C190.thumb.jpeg.4728e05a351ba70e4eea7a51ea035e03.jpeg@Snaponfitz, in no way am I saying you are trying to sneak one by us or hiding anything, not at all. I just don't think you will get the kind of money for your car that was mentioned at the start of this thread.  I would love to take this car on as project, it has great potential.

• Like 4

Dang...we've gone from $40,000 to $4,000.  So sad.  Kidding.  It looks like a  fairly nice daily driver 240Z that a guy could restore a piece at a time.  All the parts are there, except the front bumper.

I didn't realize that granny had worked with so many Z's.  Nice history.