IGNORED

'70 near Portland # HLS3003543

Terrapin Z

This one interests me because its VIN is within 10 digits of my own car.  The seat covers look original (they have the Butterscotch colour's characteristic dissimilar fading between the smooth side panels and the pebbled seating surface panels) and -- given the overall condition of the seats -- one would be inclined to believe the claim of only 57,000 miles.  So does the clean appearance of the lower front bender mount area.  However, the seller stated in a previous listing that the car had 249,000 miles.  Which to believe?  The earlier ad says:

"Strong engine, no smoke. Repainted 15+ yrs ago,some rust in front of rear wheels only. Original color Palma green/butterscotch interior in good shape, no tears. Dash is not cracked. I am third owner/since 1983. Cast aluminum wheels/good tires. Rear end recently swapped to a rebuilt unit having stronger gears intended for racing(but never raced) so rear end is noisy but very reliable. Car never raced either. Originally purchased in Portland Oregon. No salt exposure. Comes with spare used (90,000 mi) engine with dual Webber carbs and tranny and two spare used rearends. Many spare original parts included."

The no-crack dash is a bonus and should add $2K premium to the selling price.  Door cards look in very nice condition.  Headliner and sunvisors also look to be in remarkably good shape.  Passenger-side floorboard looks like it's been caved in by a jacking 'error', but this can be easily remedied (with a big anvil - right, Chris?).  Although it's a small detail, the mudflaps send the wrong signal to potential buyers.The fact that this car appears to be straight and 95% original should be a big bonus.  It also looks like it's been very well cared for.  What we can't see properly from the pictures is its rust quotient.  Pictures of the bare floorboards, hatch sill area, and rear wheel arches/lips would help.  The seller's earlier ad notes rust in the dogleg areas. 

The mention of racing intentions by a previous owner is worrisome.  However, absent of any hidden surprises, if this car was listed on Bring A Trailer I think we'd probably see a $25K result.  Maybe even $30K on the right day.  The re-spray (even though in the original 907 colour) might hold down interest from collector-types.

For those interested in such things, the engine number for this car (6582) is about 200 units later than the factory-installed engine in my car (6408).

Edited by Namerow
updated after reading seller's earlier ad

1 hour ago, Namerow said:

the seller stated in a previous listing that the car had 249,000 miles.  Which to believe? 

Here's the part about 249,000 miles, from the topclassics ad.  Hate to say it but it looks like somebody decided to fudge the history to improve the odds of a sale.  Plausible deniability, since the odometer doesn't do 100's.  Probably drove it 8,000 miles while trying to sell it.  The internet is watching...

image.png

On 12/28/2018 at 10:58 AM, siteunseen said:

The Contact Seller! link still opens up if somebody wants to see what's what.

Of course, you can contact the seller on the eBay ad too.  Might be different people.

Edited by Zed Head

9 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

The Contact Seller! link still opens up if somebody wants to see what's what.

Of course, you can contact the seller on the eBay ad too.  Might be different people.

I agree with Namerow the wear on the car looks more like 54000 (eBAY ad) but that can be hidden. It could be 254000 now, but I would think there would be more tell tale signs of wear. JMO

The sellers phone number was in the CL ad in the first post here, a 917 area code which is from New York. The map shows NE Vancouver Wa, and the ad was in the Seattle Cl.

The address was Corvallis OR in the Topcalssic ad.  eBAY ad says Clackamas OR.

Sits at $15,100 on eBAY now. 5 days to go......

Seems worth contacting the seller, if anyone is really interested.  Could be a car flipper.  

Just noticed another discrepancy.  Two owner now, not three, or four, depending on if the third owner actually sold it.  Another one of those odd Z's that floats around the selling sites.

image.png

This car seems to have been sold a month ago on Ebay for US$28,850 and a reported mileage of 51,310 by a different seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Datsun-Z-Series-/202530708936?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Seems strange that it has a 90 psi oil pressure a gauge, it would have originally had a 140 psi gauge, unless it was changed. That seems unlikely for a car with 50K miles.

Capture-Ebay.JPG

Sold from Port Angeles WA from Graymotors. Which appears to be a local used car dealer up there https://www.graymotors.com

I noticed my New York area code is really 971 not 917. 971 is in Portland area.

So at least all the area locations are closer together but still a little scattered. 

I'm not a buyer, I was just interested in the condition, and what it ends up selling for. 

The seller has 0 feedback, joined eBAY 01-03-19 and also has a 86 Firebird listed

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

He probably bought it from the 249,000 mile guy and is now only reporting the odometer numbers as he tries to sell it.  Sketchy.

Guys,  just because he lists it at 54,000 mi. doesn't mean he's a scammer,  BaT does exactly the same thing, they list what is displayed on the odo.  So there is also a pic of the hand written service book,  that could have been written by the present owner or a previous owner who may have been mistaken. Unless you have a stack of shop invoices from day one with mileage recorded then how do you know what the engine really has?  It certainly doesn't look like a quarter of a million mile car.

• Like 1