IGNORED

Badging a 240Z into a FairladyZ

DC871F

54 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

.... but when it comes down to the "nitty-gritty", if somebody asks "is that a real Fairlady Z?", the honest answer is no.  

Protecting the badge is one thing, but then supporting moving the badge around willy-nilly is another.  

The use of "nitty-gritty" and "willy-nilly" is the the same post is okey dokey by me and an easy peasy way to liven up the discussion.  Sorry, it's cold outside and I'm home alone, unsupervised.  :facepalm:

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, psdenno said:

The use of "nitty-gritty" and "willy-nilly" is the the same post is okey dokey by me and an easy peasy way to liven up the discussion.  Sorry, it's cold outside and I'm home alone, unsupervised.  :facepalm:

Dennis

Me too!  I'm sorry for the joking around but as Dennis says it rainy and cold out so that's my excuse, like it or not.  Cliff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HS30-H said:

I built a 'Fairlady 240Z' emblem-ed car (based on a UK market HS30) back in the 1990s. Sounds similar to what you are planning to do:

uJgD0J.jpg

SYiS0L.jpg

vj5nN4.jpg

Key points: You need the correct S30-series specific 'Z' bonnet emblem, not the flatter S130-series type. Good thing is that the vented-quarter Japanese market models used the same 'Z' vent emblems as the vented-quarter Export market cars, so two less emblems to source. Your 'Fairlady Z' glovebox emblem was also used on the 'Fairlady 240Z' models, so that's correct.

Beautiful car! I wish I had the black mirrors, but I have the chrome ones.

I like the idea of the Fairlady 240Z, but this would have still been a RDH car?

Instead of grinding these brand new FairladyZ emblems, maybe a swap for the other ones is in order, or just source some if available.

Edited by DC871F

5 hours ago, Zed Head said:

A badge is a label used to identify the object it's on.  A VIN is a number used to identify the object it's on.  What's the point of rebadging if not to suggest that the object it's on is what the badge says it is?  

I can understand enjoying the thought that you might have what the new label implies, living a mild fantasy, but when it comes down to the "nitty-gritty", if somebody asks "is that a real Fairlady Z?", the honest answer is no.  It just has a Fairlady badge on it.  So, in essence, it's a fraud.  I wonder if HS30-H sold his counterfeit Fairlady Z as a real one.

Anyway, the discussion ended up on-point until HS30-H's insecurities kicked in.  If he had a Twitter account I assume that he'd be on a rant about peoples' "stupid witterings", whatever a wittering is.  (Apparently "wittering" is a Scottish word.  Rebadged as English, I assume).   Protecting the badge is one thing, but then supporting moving the badge around willy-nilly is another.  He's trying to play both sides, and has no leg to stand on.

Maybe FairladyZ on the fenders and right below it in small font "tribute"?

Anyone with the ability to use context clues should have zero questions for me. But I'm sure I would get the occasional, "They made LHD Fairladys?"