IGNORED

Firewall and Floor Sound Deadener for '81 280ZX

Car54280ZX

The firewall pad on my 1981 280ZX has been cleaned by a fire restoration company but still smells musty. I'm looking to replace it but I cannot find it anywhere. It has the normal insulation WITH a heavy rubber backing.

Does anyone know if there is a seller that has this kind of material in ROLL STOCK so I can just cut the holes myself and mold it to fit with my heat gun?

Also, I saw ZUP's post and photos about floor deadener material that he bought from a Porsche website. Like ZUP, I'm trying to bring my 280ZX back to original stock condition. Does anyone have other recommendations for floor insulation / sound deadener? Looks like there is some very thin tarry (sprayed) material on the floor (not in may places on the floor). I'm thinking about leaving them and painting over it before re-applying a new layer of deadener. I bought the car brand new in January 1981 so what I have found is ORIGINAL.

Thanks Patcon! That’s a really good series of posts. 

I found a vendor in California that sells firewall insulation for earlier Z’s and I’m working with them to see if I can just purchase the rubber base with the insulation in a roll. Then I can cut out the holes and heat-press the edges. 

Photos of my smelly firewall insulation are attached. Both rubber side and insulation side. 

B341F2BA-297E-49C0-8E25-81C5183AF0B6.jpeg

6E2C062F-27A8-4C38-A221-96A5D00DB879.jpeg

22 hours ago, black gold man said:

I have a 83zx i am parting it is 22000 mile car . I got it from a shop sitting since 1986 inside.  Want me to see if i can get it off in good cond i know it don't stink.

That would really be awesome! As long as it doesn't smell musty and stinky. There are some black clips and some white clips that stick through the engine wall (firewall) and clip to the engine side of the wall. They sort of look like these photos. I'm not sure how to arrange payment and shipping address since I've only been on this forum for a few months.

IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

On 9/25/2018 at 6:59 PM, Patcon said:

I think wheee! found some. Look in his build thread. I have no idea what page it might be on....

I love wheee!'s postings!! Thank you soooo much for pointing this out to me!!

I have been going through them. I'm on page 32 of 84 and I'm being careful not to miss anything. I saw his photos of the floor boards and what a mess. So far I haven't found any items about the firewall material in the first 32 pages, but I'm still going through them. VERY HELPFUL. Saw the fuel that he pulled from his tank. Mine looked like that, also. A completely full tank in my case. My tank has been re-lined but I still need to clean and paint the exterior.

Fortunately my 280 ZX just sat in a farm house garage in central Illinois for 15 years (while I was working in Chicago). Garage has no heat, no humidity control, and no mouse traps. I've had it in a humidity and temperature controlled shop for restoration for 11½ months. The guys let me be as involved as I can, so that's good. It's just that there are other cars in their restoration shop. After seeing how long wheee! has been spending on his, now I'm not too concerned that mine is only 11½ months into the process.  I should probably plan for 12 more months at least. Mine is rather rust free, but still it's a big restoration for me.

Any additional comments are greatly appreciated!

• Like 2

Hot diggity dog. There we go!

Where did you get this material from? Looks much easier to install.

Looks like it could be used on the floors, too.

I found a company in California that might be able to get  similar genuine  firewall material in roll stock. Its a store that sells restoration parts for Pontiacs. I found an ad on their site showing a firewall for "1974 1978 Datsun 280Z Firewall Pad with Ultra High Definition Rubber" and I am in the process of seeing if this material is available in ROLL STOCK. Crazy thing was this posting was on a California Pontiac Restoration site on EBAY that I can't specifically remember the name but I will let you know! Copy what I have in quotes and do a search on eBay. See the post that I found.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 9.26.04 PM.png