IGNORED

Bumper mounting question

MikeW

Can someone describe how the front and rear bumper ends are attached to the body? The FSM doesn't really help and I don't have the parts CD yet. As I recall, mine were always a bit wobbly. Now that I'm about to put the rechromed bumpers back on I want to make sure it's done right. Specifically, I'd like to know where washers go. I've got fresh new rubber caps that fit over the plate on the bumper where the bolt goes through. Presumably that rubber goes up against the paint on the car to protect it. However, what goes on the inside behind the body? Is it just a single washer that's bigger than the bolt hole? Do I also need a lock washer?

On my 73 all there was was a large metal washer on the inside of the body. I would use a lock washer just for insurance. It can't hurt. I just took my bumpers off a few weeks ago. Victor.

ps Where did you get the rubber caps for the mounting plates? Mine were pretty well rotted off.

I don't know that I recall a 72 having bumper ends on the front. Only the rubber strips which have studs that go through the bumper,then the lock washer then the nuts.

The rear seems to just have rubber shims which protect the rear quarters from the bumpers However the listing I am looking at does not show how these are attached. I can check the FSM when I get home from my early 74 260 as this has the 240 bumpers if no one else gets back to you

I think the shims are only for 1973 models and are actually wider than the bumper itself (if the shim is what I think it is). The rubber pieces I'm referring to are quite small and are slipped over the metal plate that is welded inside the bumper. They are not visible from the outside of the bumper. They have a hole through them and are shaped like an envelope. From the outside in, the bumper bolt goes through half of the rubber, then through the welded bumper plate, then through the other half of the rubber, then finally through the body. I wanted to make sure there wasn't another special piece on the inside of the body as opposed to just a large washer, lock washer, and nut.

• 3 years later...

Mike W. is correct, the rubber "shims" is what Motorsport calls them and they want $16.00 apiece for them. I have been looking for some of these, since I only have one and it is in bad condition (see pics). As Mike W. mentioned, they are slipped over the metal plates that are welded inside both the front and rear bumpers and are not visible from the outside. Motorsport is the only place I could find who sells them, but I refuse to pay the $16.00 per, especially since I need 4 sets of them for 2 cars.

post-6600-1415079767526_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150797676145_thumb.jpg

Don't spend all that money on those rubber pieces. Go to your local hardware store and get some fender washers and some rubber washers of the same size. You will save a bundle!

Sorry for the blurry picture but I think you can tell what I'm talking about.

post-1052-14150797677645_thumb.jpg

post-1052-14150797677929_thumb.jpg

I just swapped bumper on my 2 '73s and sent one to the chrome shop. Mine both had the rubber pieces that lonetreesteve shows in his reply. I ended up not reusing them because they came apart when I removed them. I also just used a rubber washer. I may go the other way when the bumper comes back, but I'll have 12 weeks to decide. ouch!

Go to Ace hardware and get a package of these.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1273193

These are a cloth insert rubber washer that goes between

the bolt head and the toilet tank. These are perfect for the

early Z's. They last forever and are soft enough to protect

the paint from the end bumper mount that bolts to the body.