IGNORED

pedal return springs

Mark Maras

Jai (Redwing) found a spring in the drivers side foot well. Looking at the pic she sent it appears to be either the clutch or brake pedal return spring. My guess is clutch spring. A couple of questions. Are the clutch and brake springs interchangeable? I have a good brake spring and the nylon? spring perch from a late 71. Will the late 71 spring work on an early 76 280? Thanks.

@Mark Maras

I believe I am incorrect on the interchangeability. I was looking at the pedal springs tonight. I think the clutch spring is lighter # wise. They appear to be exactly the same in dimensions, but I mic'd them and the clutch spring is a lighter gauge wire. It also feels lighter. The issue though, is I can't be much more help than that, because I left them in the plating "pickle" and destroyed them. So I need to find a clutch pedal spring myself. I have another brake pedal spring...

5 minutes ago, zKars said:

Charles, measure the diameter of the wire and add that to the post. That's enough info to get a close enough replacement from someplace like McMasterCarr.

I will get my better mic and check the gauge

5 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

@Patcon Are those the specs for the clutch or brake spring?

I found a couple of spring catalogs in pdf and did some looking. I found a similar OD and length but you need an "extension spring with long hooks". I also discovered one of the retaining clips in the brake booster is actually called a "serrated disc spring". Who knew???:facepalm:

• Like 1

Doesn’t a 71 have a small nylon bushing that the spring rest on. Are they available?

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

1 hour ago, 7tooZ said:

Doesn’t a 71 have a small nylon bushing that the spring rest on. Are they available?

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

Yes all the ones I have seen have the little half round bushing. They are not available to my knowledge. Do you need one?

The bushing helps to keep the spring quiet I think. Since that spring is constantly in motion, it would quickly wear a groove and start sqeeking on every pedal press. Just think up tough that will insulate that point. Think natural products, like leather maybe