IGNORED

Dash Harness Backup light Wire Q's

Dan222000

Hello,

I need to some help understanding/locating where these two backup light wires go.  They are #39 & 40 on the diagram below.  The description on the diagram states they are backup light wires but I don't see where they would be plugged into.  

#39 - Backup Lights (RB)

#40 - Backup Lights (LR)

Thanks,

Dan

Datsun-240Z-Sport-1971-FSM-Supplement-28.jpg

6 hours ago, SteveJ said:

They should go down to the underside of the transmission tunnel to the reverse switch on the transmission.

Steve - I agree with the logical aspect of your recommendation, just not the actual physical aspect.  Looking at my car, the reverse switch wiring is part of the engine bay harness - emerging just below the battery.  I still can't figure out the connection point in question.

Jim

22 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

The problem is that diagram, they have made it look like the connectors for 39&40 are inside the car under the dash, they are just as Jim says part of the engine bay harness and just as Steve said they snake down under the tranny tunnel to connect with the back up switch on the transmission.

Yep, that should solve the problem.  I just checked the '72 FSM (BE-5) and find that wires RB & R connect to the reverse switch.  Tracing the R wire it later becomes LR - consistent the OP's post.  RB is the wire that travels to the rear of the car to power both lamps.  I found the OP's diagram in the '71 FSM Supplement, page 26.

looks like grannyknot is correct and the wires are in the harness itself and are not connectors like they are shown in the diagram.  

Thanks for all your help guys!  I was worried that my harness was missing these connectors but that's not the case!