IGNORED

California 1978 Datsun 280z Restomod

Kevin McSweeney

5 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Love the crinkle finish on the VC,  what tools did you use to grind and polish the MC, did you clear coat it?

I used a dremel with polishing kit and some small stainless steel brushes. I have not clear coated it yet at least. Will it dull quickly if I don't clear it?

2 hours ago, Kevin McSweeney said:

I used a dremel with polishing kit and some small stainless steel brushes. I have not clear coated it yet at least. Will it dull quickly if I don't clear it?

Yes, probably

Apologies my posts are incoherent and all out of sequence but I'm trying to post more frequently. Lots going on in the background at the moment, there will be big progress in the next 2-3 weeks.

Today I got the motor on a stand and started cleaning. For now, unfortunately, it will just be a basic clean/refresh, and hopefully at a later date - after spending some time actually driving and enjoying the car - I'll do a complete rebuild or swap.

For now, I'll be changing out the water pump, oil pump, alternator, timing kit, rear main seal, and all the basic tune up parts. Also received the MSA 6-1 header yesterday.

Can anyone tell me more about the engine number?: L28-284789 

PS - The Fram oil filter was not me. Previous owner installed must have installed it. I have a genuine Nissan filter ready to install.

IMG-3333.JPG

IMG-3334.JPG

IMG-3335.JPG

IMG-3336.JPG

IMG-3337.JPG

Edited by Kevin McSweeney

Ordered a new driveshaft with replaceable U-Joints as the joint on my old one is bad. Arrived this morning. Everything appears to line up - other than at the rear flange - it looks like there may be some issues with bolt clearance. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Ordered from here: https://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/Nissan_280Z_Driveshaft_1978.php

IMG-3342.JPG

IMG-3341.JPG

IMG-3340.JPG

IMG-3339.JPG

It's the same motor that came in my '77.  N42 cast iron block with 86mm cylinder bores.  It has a N47 cylinder head, you can see this between #1 and #2 spark plugs.  Mine was the early change over head that had a oiler cam PLUS a spray bar resulting in very low oil pressure on the gauge but flooded the valve train with oil. :beer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_L_engine

17 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

It's the same motor that came in my '77.  N42 cast iron block with 86mm cylinder bores.  It has a N47 cylinder head, you can see this between #1 and #2 spark plugs.  Mine was the early change over head that had a oiler cam PLUS a spray bar resulting in very low oil pressure on the gauge but flooded the valve train with oil. :beer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_L_engine

I appreciate the response, but I actually knew all of that, I meant more in terms of production date, how likely it is that the motor is original to the car, etc.

Thank you though!

47 minutes ago, Kevin McSweeney said:

I appreciate the response, but I actually knew all of that, I meant more in terms of production date, how likely it is that the motor is original to the car, etc.

Thank you though!

If you look above the master cylinders you'll see a ID plate with the engine number, then you'll know if it's the original motor.

Related image

3 hours ago, siteunseen said:

If you look above the master cylinders you'll see a ID plate with the engine number, then you'll know if it's the original motor.

Related image

I amaze myself at my own stupidity sometimes. I literally reinstalled this plate 2 days ago and never realized it has the engine number on it also! Thank you. Good news - matching numbers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1