IGNORED

Plane Load of weed Road Atlanta 1970s

black gold man

"Where did the cash come from? Turns out, the Whittingtons also owned a for-hire plane company. They also bought Road Atlanta—which had the longest straight in the United States at the time. Supposedly, those planes would land on the race track with shipments of pot, which was hidden on-site in trailers at the track. The brothers were running drugs."

Road Atlanta was used as an airport! :beer:

A couple years back, Bruce Canepa, who is known for being a prankster hired a bunch of actors and pranked one of the Whittington brothers. They were at Labuan Seca which is Bruce’s home track of course. It was a vintage race weekend and Whittington had one of their Porsche’s there. I believe they had Canepa do some work on it. Anyway, into the pit area come the Crown Vics. Out come guys wearing DEA jackets. Whittington is in handcuffs and in comes a flatbed to tow away the Porsche as an asset seizure. I have pictures somewhere. They all had a pretty good laugh in the end.

I hate to burst your bubble but the back straight at Road Atlanta isn't flat enough to land an aircraft full of marijuana.  Nice video from a guy who wasn't 'there'.  However...I was there and the stories are relatively true.  When we took our GTU Porsche to Daytona in 1980, I got to be chums with the mechanics on this car.  One of a pair imported from Columbia.  They came in heavy and went home light.

ColumbiaRSR_1980Daytona.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...